Could someone take a look at an analysis proof?

In summary, an analysis proof is a mathematical and logical demonstration of a statement or theorem, which can take varying amounts of time to complete depending on the complexity and proficiency of the person performing it. The purpose of having someone look at an analysis proof is to ensure its accuracy and validity, and ideally, the person reviewing it should have a strong understanding and experience in the field of analysis. To improve analysis proof skills, regular practice and seeking feedback from experienced mathematicians, as well as studying well-written examples, can be beneficial.
bennyska

Homework Statement

first off, my latex isn't coming out just right. I've attached a pdf that should look right. if you can fill in the gaps from what I've posted here, sweet, otherwise, if you wouldn't mind checking out the attached pdf, that would be awesome.
[itex]Assume that $\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}a_{k}$ converges with each $a_{k} >0. $
Let $s_{n}=\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}a_{k}.$ Show that $\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}a_{k}/s_{k}$
converges.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]Assume that $\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}a_{k}$ converges with each $a_{k} >0. $
Let $s_{n}=\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}a_{k}.$ Show that $\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}a_{k}/s_{k}$
converges.

Proof: Since $\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}a_{k}$ converges, we have that $(s_{n})_{n=1}^{\infty}$
converges.

We use the ratio test. Let $b_{k}=a_{k}/s_{k}.$ Then $\lim_{k\rightarrow\infty}b_{k+1}/b_{k}=\lim_{k\rightarrow\infty}\dfrac{\dfrac{a_{k+1}}{s_{k+1}}}{\dfrac{a_{k}}{s_{k}}}=\lim_{k\rightarrow\infty}\dfrac{a_{k+1}s_{k}}{a_{k}s_{k+1}}=\lim_{k\rightarrow\infty}\dfrac{a_{k+1}}{a_{k}}\cdot\lim_{k\rightarrow\infty}\dfrac{s_{k}}{s_{k+1}}$

By the ratio test, since $\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}a_{k}$ converges, $\lim_{k\rightarrow\infty}\dfrac{a_{k+1}}{a_{k}}=L,$
for some $L<1.$

Also, since $(s_{n})_{n=1}^{\infty}$ converges, we have that $\lim_{k\rightarrow\infty}\dfrac{s_{k}}{s_{k+1}}=1.$

Then $\lim_{k\rightarrow\infty}\dfrac{a_{k+1}}{a_{k}}\cdot\lim_{k\rightarrow\infty}\dfrac{s_{k}}{s_{k+1}}=M$
for some $M<1,$ so by the ratio test, $\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}a_{k}/s_{k}$
converges.[/itex]

possible problems with my proof (of which there are at least a few that i am aware of)
1: ratio test is not an "if and only if", so i don't know i can make the conclusion i did that lim ak+1/ak < 1.
2: i never really used the fact that ak > 0 for all k. I'm tempted to say that because of that fact, sk/sk+1 < 1 for all k, so multiplying that by lim ak+1/ak, which is also less than 1 results in a number < 1.
3: i didn't really show that lim sk/sk+1 = 1. it seems intuitive to me that it is, but without having anything actually defined, I'm sort of at a loss to actually prove it.

any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• att.pdf
    68.8 KB · Views: 270
Physics news on Phys.org
typo in the pdf. nothing serious. sum should be to n.

benn is correct. when you define [itex]s_n[/itex], the sum should go to n, not infinity.

as for the proof itself, it is almost there, but you are right to be skeptical of your use of the ratio test. you have not accounted for the possibility that L=1 (which turns out to be pretty important for the rest of your proof).

as for the limit of [itex]\frac{s_k}{s_{k+1}}[/itex], it must be equal to 1, but we need to show it. this is not hard. since the limit of [itex]s_k[/itex] and [itex]s_{k+1}[/itex] must be equal if they exist, and they do exist.

for some reason, my updated proof isn't showing up right (the new code is just showing up as the old problem), but i did a new proof using cauchy criteria. it's attached (the second proof is a different problem, but any critiquing on that would be appreciated too.

Attachments

• math_th.pdf
    75.3 KB · Views: 190
just taking a quick look, i see one mistake in the new proof. you say that

[itex]a_k<s_k[/itex] for [itex]k>1[/itex] implies that [itex]\frac{a_k}{s_k} < a_k[/itex] for [itex] k>1[/itex]

but this does not follow. note: [itex]s_k[/itex] could be less than one.

duh. should have seen that. i think i fixed it.

Attachments

• math_th.pdf
    75.5 KB · Views: 204
hi benn,

i am with you until you write

[tex]\sum_{k=m+1}^n{a_k}<B\epsilon[/tex]

i don't know how the B found it's way in there.

and after that i get very confused, i am sorry to say. i am not quite sure what you mean by divide through by [itex]s_k[/itex]. but, whatever you meant, what you wrote is not necessarily true.

1) When you "update" something, do NOT just edit the original post. People who have already looked at that post may not look at it again. Put your update in a new post in the thread.

2) The board has an annoying but minor problem with LaTeX- when you edit, it does not come out right. You may see exactly what you had before- but I have known it to mix up LaTeX from different parts of the post. Fortunately there is a simple fix- click on the "refresh" button on hour internet reader. I have gotten to where I do that automatically when I edit LaTeX without even reading it first.

so I'm trying to show that the series a_k/s_k converges. so if can show cauchy criteria, then it works. since the cauchy criteria is true for a_k for all epsilon>0, then it should be true for b*epsilon, where b is a positive constant. i put the b in there so i could show cauchy holds for the series when i divide a_k by s_k. s_k is strictly increasing, so s_k < s_k+1. b = s_1. since s_k is increasing, a_k/s_k < a_k/b when k>1. maybe i should switch other order and say let B=s_1.
oh, i see i didn't correct the second part...

also, I'm not sure why my code is coming out so poorly. i type this stuff up in a latex editor and try to post the code in here, but it seems to not work out so well.
it's also attached, and more more readable.

[itex]Assume that $\sum\limits _{k=1}^{\infty}a_{k}$ converges with each
$a_{k} > 0.$ Let $s_{n}=\sum\limits _{k=1}^{n}a_{k}.$ Show that $\sum\limits _{k=1}^{\infty}a_{k}/s_{k}$
converges.

Since $\sum\limits _{k=1}^{\infty}a_{k}$ converges, it satisfies
the Cauchy criteria. Also, since $a_{k} > 0 for all $k\in\mathbb{R},$
we have that $|a_{k}|=a_{k},$ and $s_{k}>a_{k}$ for all $k>1.$
Let $B=s_{1},$ where $B>0.$ Since $a_{k}>0$ for all $k,$ $(s_{k})_{k=1}^{\infty}$
is a strictly increasing sequence.

By Cauchy criteria, for all $\varepsilon>0,$ there exists an $n_{0}\in\mathbb{N}$
such that if $n>m\geq n_{0},$ $|\sum\limits _{k=m+1}^{n}a_{k}|=\sum\limits _{k=m+1}^{n}a_{k}<B\varepsilon.$

So $a_{m+1}+a_{m+2}+...+a_{n}<B\varepsilon.$ Dividing through by
$s_{k},$ we have $\sum\limits _{k=m+1}^{n}\dfrac{a_{k}}{s_{k}}=$$\dfrac{a_{m+1}}{s_{m+1}}+\dfrac{a_{m+2}}{s_{m+2}}+...+\dfrac{a_{n}}{s_{n}}<\dfrac{a_{m+1}}{B}+\dfrac{a_{m+2}}{B}+...+\dfrac{a_{n}}{B}=\dfrac{1}{B}(a_{m+1}+a_{m+2}+...+a_{n})<\dfrac{B\varepsilon}{B}=\varepsilon,$
so $\sum\limits _{k=1}^{\infty}a_{k}/s_{k}$ converges by Cauchy criteria[/itex]

Attachments

• math_th.pdf
    75.8 KB · Views: 206
ok, i see where you are going now, but the B is still a problem for me, though i think it is an easy fix. if you use epsilon in the first part of the theorem, you must use epsilon in the conclusion as well, especially since B could be very small. i would just define delta = B*epsilon and use delta for the sum on a, then you will be left with epsilon to use when you apply cauchy to prove the sum on a/s. i think that might do it.

1. What is an analysis proof?

An analysis proof is a mathematical and logical demonstration of a statement or theorem, using a series of logical steps and previously established principles or axioms.

2. How long does it take to complete an analysis proof?

The time it takes to complete an analysis proof can vary greatly depending on the complexity of the statement and the proficiency of the person performing the proof. It can take anywhere from a few minutes to several hours or even days.

3. What is the purpose of having someone look at an analysis proof?

The purpose of having someone look at an analysis proof is to ensure its accuracy and validity. Having a fresh set of eyes can help identify any errors or gaps in logic that may have been overlooked by the person who performed the proof.

4. What qualifications should someone have to review an analysis proof?

Ideally, someone reviewing an analysis proof should have a strong understanding of the principles and techniques used in the particular field of analysis. They should also have experience in performing and verifying proofs themselves.

5. How can I improve my analysis proof skills?

To improve your analysis proof skills, it is important to practice regularly and seek feedback from more experienced mathematicians. It can also be helpful to study and analyze examples of well-written proofs to understand the techniques and strategies used.