Could something be seen going the speed of light?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of seeing something moving at the speed of light. It is mentioned that light can be seen at this speed, but it is also noted that other matter can be used to detect something moving at this speed. The conversation ends with the clarification that the use of light is not necessary to detect something moving at the speed of light.
|Orion's Thought|
Could something be seen going the speed of light? Shouldnt we be able to see it if the "light rays" reflected off of it (assuming it is not on a vector away from the sun, and not parallel to the beams of light being emmited from the sun)?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
|Orion's Thought| said:
Could something be seen going the speed of light?

Sure, light goes at the speed of light and we see it all the time. :smile:

Shouldnt we be able to see it if the "light rays" reflected off of it (assuming it is not on a vector away from the sun, and not parallel to the beams of light being emmited from the sun)?

Depends on the kind of massless particle. Light can reflect other light, but only very weakly. You're better off using matter to "see" it.

Sure, light goes at the speed of light and we see it all the time.

Good point! I think I didnt word the second part of my question very well, I meant that you would be able to see something such as an asteroid going the speed of light as long as it ran into light rays.

|Orion's Thought| said:
Good point! I think I didnt word the second part of my question very well, I meant that you would be able to see something such as an asteroid going the speed of light as long as it ran into light rays.

I know what you meant, but what I'm trying to say is that you don't need to use light to detect something moving at light speed. You can have it run into matter, which will then emit light that you can see with your eyes (or some other instrument).

OOOH! I see. Thanks!:smile:

FAQ: Could something be seen going the speed of light?

1. Could something actually move at the speed of light?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, no object with mass can reach the speed of light. As an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases infinitely, making it impossible to actually reach the speed of light.

2. What would happen if something did move at the speed of light?

If an object were to move at the speed of light, it would experience time dilation, meaning time would slow down for the object. Additionally, its length in the direction of motion would contract to zero, making it impossible for the object to actually reach its destination.

3. How fast is the speed of light?

The speed of light is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second, which is equivalent to about 670,616,629 miles per hour.

4. Can anything travel faster than the speed of light?

No, according to the theory of relativity, the speed of light is the maximum speed at which energy, matter, and information can travel.

5. Why is the speed of light considered to be a universal speed limit?

The speed of light is considered to be a universal speed limit because it is the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion. This is a fundamental principle of the theory of relativity.