Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Could something be seen going the speed of light?

1. Jan 29, 2006 #1
    Could something be seen going the speed of light? Shouldnt we be able to see it if the "light rays" reflected off of it (assuming it is not on a vector away from the sun, and not parallel to the beams of light being emmited from the sun)?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2006 #2

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sure, light goes at the speed of light and we see it all the time. :smile:

Depends on the kind of massless particle. Light can reflect other light, but only very weakly. You're better off using matter to "see" it.

4. Jan 29, 2006 #3
    Good point! I think I didnt word the second part of my question very well, I meant that you would be able to see something such as an asteroid going the speed of light as long as it ran into light rays.

5. Jan 29, 2006 #4

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I know what you meant, but what I'm trying to say is that you don't need to use light to detect something moving at light speed. You can have it run into matter, which will then emit light that you can see with your eyes (or some other instrument).

6. Jan 30, 2006 #5
    OOOH! I see. Thanks!:smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?