Could the Big Bang Have Created a Black Hole?

In summary: No such regions were found. In summary, the distribution of mass in the early universe was too homogenous for a black hole to form. Additionally, there was no defined separation between gravity and the other forces, making it unlikely for a black hole to form.
mangog
I've always wondered about this...if one sun over a certain size is enough (at the end of it's life) to become a black hole, then at the big bang, ALL the matter in the universe was in a very small space...so my question is why wasn't the big bang enough to actually create a black hole itself? Or maybe the big bang could be not a "big bang", but instead matter streaming into a black hole in a different universe and creating ours as it entered...

I have no idea, and I'm no scientist, but I am extremely fascinated by cosmology. I'm very open and eager to read answers to this - many thanks in advance

Space news on Phys.org
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=494036

tl;dr, the universe didn't happen inside another universe.Additionally, a black hole would probably require a more defined separation between gravity and the other forces, while most models suggest there was little if any such difference, with many models suggesting that all four forces become a single superforce at extremely high temperatures/energy densities.

Last edited:
mangog said:
I've always wondered about this...if one sun over a certain size is enough (at the end of it's life) to become a black hole, then at the big bang, ALL the matter in the universe was in a very small space...so my question is why wasn't the big bang enough to actually create a black hole itself? Or maybe the big bang could be not a "big bang", but instead matter streaming into a black hole in a different universe and creating ours as it entered...

I have no idea, and I'm no scientist, but I am extremely fascinated by cosmology. I'm very open and eager to read answers to this - many thanks in advance

The way I think of it is this. Whether this is right or not I dunno.

At the big bang the universe was packed with extreme density. But it appears that the distribution of the mass was almost homogenous, that is, there was almost exactly as much mass at point A as at point B. So gravity almost cancels out everywhere.

Another way to look at it is to have a black hole you have to have some place with less gravity than there is in the black hole. In the early Universe there was no such thing. There was no empty space whatsoever for a long time.

Now I said gravity almost cancels out. So there could be black holes left over from the old days from regions that had a little bit more density. A search is in progress, no luck as yet.

Extremely overdense regions in the very early universe would have stood out like a sore thumb in WMAP.

!

I can understand your curiosity about living inside a black hole and the potential connections to the Big Bang. However, it's important to clarify that living inside a black hole is currently not possible according to our current understanding of physics. The intense gravitational pull and distortion of space and time within a black hole make it an inhospitable environment for life as we know it.

Regarding your question about the Big Bang and black holes, it's important to note that the Big Bang was not a single point in space but rather an expansion of space itself. The matter and energy in the universe were not compressed into a single point, but rather spread out over a vast expanse. This is different from a black hole, where all the matter is concentrated in a single point. Additionally, the Big Bang did not have enough density to create a black hole. The universe was expanding too quickly for the matter to collapse into a black hole.

As for the idea of the Big Bang being the result of matter streaming into a black hole from another universe, it is an interesting concept but not supported by current scientific evidence. The Big Bang theory is the most widely accepted explanation for the origin of our universe, supported by observations and calculations from various fields of science.

Overall, while there is still much we don't know about the universe and its origins, we can continue to explore and learn more through scientific research and advancements in technology. Thank you for your interest in cosmology, and I hope this response has provided some insight into your questions.

Related to Could the Big Bang Have Created a Black Hole?

1. What is a black hole?

A black hole is a region of space where the gravitational pull is so strong that nothing, including light, can escape it. This is due to the extreme curvature of space and time caused by a massive object collapsing in on itself.

2. Can anything survive inside a black hole?

It is currently believed that nothing can survive inside a black hole. The intense gravitational forces would tear apart any known form of matter, including atoms, into their smallest components.

3. Is time travel possible inside a black hole?

While it is a popular concept in science fiction, there is currently no evidence to suggest that time travel is possible inside a black hole. The intense gravitational pull would cause time to slow down, but it is not possible to travel back in time.

4. Would living inside a black hole be possible?

No, living inside a black hole is not possible for several reasons. The extreme gravitational forces would not allow for stable orbits, and the lack of light and energy would make it impossible for any known form of life to survive.

5. How do black holes affect time and space?

Black holes have a significant impact on time and space due to their intense gravitational pull. They can cause time dilation, where time passes slower for an observer close to the black hole. They also bend and distort space, causing objects to orbit around them in a curved path.