Could you point me to interesting videos about plasma balls?

In summary, the conversation discusses the request for interesting videos about plasma ball and how to find them using search engines. The conversation also suggests adding an extra term, such as "low pressure plasma formation," to get more specific and relevant results. It emphasizes the importance of asking the right question in order to successfully find the desired content online.
Gomide Math
Could you point me to interesting videos about plasma ball?

Physics news on Phys.org
What have you found so far? If you type that into Google, one of the resulting category tabs will be "videos"... :smile:

berkeman said:
What have you found so far? If you type that into Google, one of the resulting category tabs will be "videos"... :smile:
I would like to find plasma ball relationships with atomic physics.

Gomide Math said:
OK, then proceed as suggested by @berkeman and then check out the search results one by one until you find the videos that match what your are looking for.

Likes sophiecentaur, davenn and berkeman
Gomide Math said:
I think you may have suffered from the fact that the term Plasma is taken by search engines to imply you want to buy something that uses plasma. (That's what they make their money with.) You need to get past their defences.

You need to choose a suitable extra term if you want some Physics content. I tried Low pressure plasma formation" and that got me past the sales section into things that you may want. Web searching is all about asking the right question and that 's a skill that takes time and determination to acquire.

Sorry if that sounds smug but it's true. Think of it as an adventure game where you have to ask the dragon the right question before you get to the gold. Good luck.

Likes kuruman, jrmichler and berkeman
No more from the OP.

1. What is a plasma ball?

A plasma ball is a type of novelty lighting device that contains a mixture of gases, typically neon and xenon, at low pressure. When electricity is applied, it creates a colorful and dynamic display of plasma filaments inside the glass sphere.

2. How does a plasma ball work?

A plasma ball works by using a high-frequency, high-voltage alternating current to excite the gases inside the glass sphere. This causes the gas atoms to become ionized and emit light in the form of plasma filaments.

3. Are there any practical applications for plasma balls?

While plasma balls are mostly used for entertainment purposes, they do have some practical applications. For example, they are used in some types of gas discharge lamps, as well as in certain types of scientific experiments and demonstrations.

4. Can you recommend any interesting videos about plasma balls?

There are many interesting videos about plasma balls available online. Some popular ones include "How Does a Plasma Ball Work?" by Veritasium, "The Science of Plasma Balls" by Physics Girl, and "Making a Giant Plasma Ball" by The King of Random.

5. Are plasma balls safe to use?

Plasma balls are generally safe to use, as the glass sphere acts as an insulator and prevents any direct contact with the electricity inside. However, it is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and avoid touching the glass surface while the ball is in use to prevent any potential electric shock.