Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coulomb Gauge vs. Lorentz Gauge transformation

1. May 8, 2009 #1
    Given a set of a scalar function V and a vector function, how does one recognize that it is a coulomb gauge or lorentz gauge transformation?
    Actually there is a method that i use but i am not sure if it is always true:
    what i do is to make an electric field (from that set and using known gauge transformation) and see if it has the form a coulomb electric field (static field). If it does i conclude that it is a coulomb gauge, else it is a Lorentz gauge.
    Am i right?

2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2009 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

You can find descriptions of the Coulomb and Lorentz gauge conditions here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gauge_fixing

(and probably in any E&M textbook at the intermediate level or above.)

If this isn't what you're looking for, please clarify...

Also note that there is in principle an infinite set of possible gauges, of which Coulomb and Lorentz are only two.

4. May 8, 2009 #3

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The Coulomb and Lorenz gauges are not gauge transformations. They are auxiliary conditions on the four-potential that we may choose because of the fact that there is gauge freedom. If you have a given four-potential Aµ, and you want to check if it satisfies the Lorenz gauge, all you have to do is show that ∂µAµ = 0.

5. Jun 12, 2011 #4
    Exactly. And how do you show this?
    This is my question ....

6. Jun 12, 2011 #5

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

You take the derivative.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook