1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coulomb term in Potential of ions in a Penning Trap,Green's Function

1. Jun 8, 2014 #1
    How do you write out the potential of an ion in a Penning trap? Specifically, how does the inter-ionic Coulomb interaction come to be written as a Green's function? I found it here : http://journals.aps.org/rmp/pdf/10.1103/RevModPhys.71.87 [Broken]

They do say something about interactions with image charges in the electrodes, but I can not see why a simple expression of all Coulomb pairs is not good enough. They seem to use it well enough in some of the other papers I read.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 12, 2014 #2
    Green's function in E&M just means the the integral k rho/|r-r'| over r' where rho is the change density.

A greens method is a nifty way of solving differential equations by convolving something with the green function. The Green function typically have the form f(r-r').

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook