Coulomb term in Potential of ions in a Penning Trap,Green's Function

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 1K views
aim1732
Messages
428
Reaction score
2
How do you write out the potential of an ion in a Penning trap? Specifically, how does the inter-ionic Coulomb interaction come to be written as a Green's function? I found it here : http://journals.aps.org/rmp/pdf/10.1103/RevModPhys.71.87

They do say something about interactions with image charges in the electrodes, but I can not see why a simple expression of all Coulomb pairs is not good enough. They seem to use it well enough in some of the other papers I read.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Green's function in E&M just means the the integral k rho/|r-r'| over r' where rho is the change density.

A greens method is a nifty way of solving differential equations by convolving something with the green function. The Green function typically have the form f(r-r').