Coulomb's law and electric fields

In summary: I'm not following correctly.The forces blue on red and blue on green are action-reaction pairs. When blue on red is calculated, you find out the component of the force blue on green is reacting to. Similarly, when green on blue is calculated, you find out the component of the force red on green is reacting to. Therefore, by finding the components of one of these forces, you find the components of the other.
BobRoss
I'm having a bunch of trouble with an electrostatics questions as well as an electric fields question. I'll start with the electrostatics problem.

Homework Statement

I am given the following equilateral triangle and asked to calculate the net electrostatic force on each charge.

Q087F.png

Homework Equations

Fe=[kq1q2]/r2

The Attempt at a Solution

So since the charges are all equal and the distances between them are all equal, the force of the blue on red is equal to the force of red on green which is equal to the green on the blue. So I find:

Fe=[kq1q2]/r2
Fe=[(8.99x109)(2.50x10-6C)(2.50x10-6C)]/(0.150 m)2
Fe=2.4972 N/C

I don't really know how to proceed past this. I think I need to break things down into x and y components but I don't know how I would draw those here. I know that since all of the charges are negative they will be repelling each other but how do I figure out the magnitude and direction of that repulsion?

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider just the red and blue charges. They sit in the xy-plane so the force on the blue charge will have no z-component. Make a drawing of just the two charges in the xy plane, and you should be able to calculate the components of the force. Do the same thing for the green and blue pair. This time they will lie in the yz plane, so you'll have no x-component and non-vanishing y and z components. The total force will be the sum of the two individual forces.

You'll have to do some geometrical reasoning to figure out where in the axes each charge sits.

Okay so here is what I have:

FB on R=2.4972 N/C

x1=sin30°(2.4972 N/C)
x1=1.2486 N/C

y1=cos30°(2.4972 N/C)
y1=-2.162638638 N/C

FB on G=2.4972 N/C

x2=sin30°(2.4972 N/C)
x2=-1.2486 N/C

y2=cos30°(2.4972 N/C)
y2=-2.162638638 N/C

Is that correct so far? The next part confuses me where you say "This time they will lie in the yz plane, so you'll have no x-component and non-vanishing y and z components. The total force will be the sum of the two individual forces."

I've never had to do any questions that used the z plane so I'm not sure what this means.

OK, I interpreted the dotted lines as the x, y, and z axes; otherwise, I'm not sure why they would be drawn in that way. Is that your drawing or the book's?

If it's just a two-dimensional problem, then your calculations look okay. What you want to do, however, is find the two force acting on one charge and sum those. Right now, you're finding the components of the force acting on two different charges due to one charge.

I pulled the picture straight from the assignment. There hasn't been any three dimensional examples in the text yet so I don't think they intended this one to be. So I've now done:

x1+x2
=1.2486 N/C + (-1.2486 N/C)
=0

y1+y2
=-2.162638638 N/C + (-2.462638638 N/C)
=-4.325277276 N/C

So then the resultant force will be 4.33 N/C downward? But if they are all negative charges shouldn't they be repelling each other and the force would be upward? Or do I have the direction completely wrong?

Read the last paragraph of my previous response. I probably edited after you read it initially.

Sorry, I'm not quite sure what you mean by
find the two force acting on one charge and sum those. Right now, you're finding the components of the force acting on two different charges due to one charge.

You're finding the components of the force the blue charge exerts on the red and green charges, i.e, "B on R" and "B on G". (If that's not what you intended, your math is wrong too.) Those forces act on different bodies, so it doesn't make sense to sum them.

What you need is the force that R exerts on B and the force that G exerts on B. Those two forces both act on B, so you can sum them.

Didn't I find that in my first post when I did:

Fe=[kq1q2]/r2
Fe=[(8.99x109)(2.50x10-6C)(2.50x10-6C)]/(0.150 m)2
Fe=2.4972 N/C

Since they all have the same charge and are the same distance from each other, aren't they all exerting a force of 2.4972 N/C on each other? And in my third post I found the components of blue on red and blue on green. Isn't this the same as finding the components for red on blue and green on blue since they have the same charge?

Sort of, but not for the reason you give, i.e., that they have the same charge. The forces a pair of charges exert on each other are an action-reaction pair, so by finding the components of one, you effectively find the components other other. This is true regardless of what the charges are. You have to remember that the action-reaction pair of forces are equal and opposite to get the directions right.

I see. So then what exactly do I need to calculate here to find the total net electrostatic force on each charge? The x and y components of green on blue and the x and y components of red on blue, and then add those together and find the resultant?

Yup.

I think I'm confused as to how to draw the vector diagram for this so I can find the components with proper directions. Here is a very quick MSPaint of how I've done it:

http://i.imgur.com/sHSJt.png

That isn't right though is it?

Looks fine so far. Why do you think there's a problem?

Oh good. I wasn't sure because that is how I got the components in post #3 and I thought I was on the wrong track. So again:

FR on B components

x component
x1=sin30°(2.4972 N/C)
x1=1.2486 N/C

y component
y1=cos30°(2.4972 N/C)
y1=-2.162638638 N/C

FG on B components

x component
x2=sin30°(2.4972 N/C)
x2=-1.2486 N/C

y component
y2=cos30°(2.4972 N/C)
y2=-2.162638638 N/C

Then I add the x components and the y components.
x1 +x2=1.2486 N/C + (-1.2486 N/C)
=0

y1 +y2=-2.162638638 N/C + (-2.462638638 N/C)
=-4.325277276 N/C

I'm not sure about this next part.
resultant=√x2+y2
R=√(0)2+ (-4.325277276 N/C)
R=4.325277276

So the answer is 4.33 N/C ? In what direction?

All of the components you calculated have the wrong sign. The force of R on B points upward and to the left, so the y-component should be positive and the x-component, negative, etc.

The resultant is the vector sum of the two forces. In this case, you'll get
[tex]\vec{R} = 4.33\hat{y}~\mathrm{N/C}[/tex]and its magnitude, as you found, is [itex]\|\vec{R}\|=4.33~\mathrm{N/C}[/itex].

Okay I see. And the force of green on blue will point upward and to the right. So the resultant will be in the positive y direction? Or could I call it 90°?

Yes, in the +y direction or 90 degrees. As long as you're clear about what you mean, it should be okay.

Okay, thanks for all of your help. I think I understand it now.

1. What is Coulomb's law?

Coulomb's law is a fundamental law of electromagnetism that describes the relationship between the electric force, the charges of two objects, and the distance between them. It states that the force between two charges is directly proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. How is Coulomb's law related to electric fields?

Coulomb's law is used to calculate the strength of the electric field created by a single charge. The direction of the electric field is determined by the direction of the force that would be exerted on a positive test charge placed at that point.

3. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical field that surrounds electrically charged particles and affects the behavior of other charged particles within its vicinity. It is represented by lines of force that point in the direction of the force a positive test charge would experience if placed in that field.

4. How is Coulomb's law used in real-life applications?

Coulomb's law is used in various real-life applications, such as in the design of electrical circuits, the calculation of the strength of electric fields in power lines and electronic devices, and the understanding of the behavior of charged particles in particle accelerators and fusion reactors.

5. What are the limitations of Coulomb's law?

Coulomb's law is only applicable to stationary charges and does not take into account the effects of relativity. It also assumes that the charges are point charges, which may not be the case in real-life scenarios. Additionally, Coulomb's law does not account for the quantum mechanical nature of particles at a very small scale.