1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coupled Oscillation attached at one end ?

1. Apr 14, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm supposed to determine the equation of motion of the two masses on the worksheet. I just need to start with that. Here is the problem statement:
    http://www.physics.udel.edu/~jim/PHYS211_14S/Homework%20assignments/Assignment%205%20-%20coupled%20oscillations.pdf [Broken]

2. Relevant equations
    I'm assuming x = Acos(ωt) has something to do with it as well as the energy of a spring-mass system
    K + U.

3. The attempt at a solution

I don't know where to start. This is where I need the helping. Thank you for anyone who helps.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2014 #2
    It's very astute of you guessing the form of x. That is key to determining the solution of the differential equation. However, if the question is only asking for the equations of motion then I would interpret this to mean you don't have to solve the differential equation for x.

And although you could solve the problem using energy methods it is not usually the convention since this involves extra work that really isn't necessary I think in this case.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted