Coupled oscillator: 2 masses and 3 different springs

In summary, the system has two harmonic oscillators that are coupled together by a spring. The normal frequencies and normal modes of oscillation are found by solving the differential equations.
x24759

Homework Statement

Two harmonic oscillators A and B , of mass m and spring constants kA and kB are coupled together by a spring of spring constant kC .Find the normal frequencies ω' and ω'' and describe the normal modes of oscillation if (k C)2= kAkB)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The system I have drawn looks like this
wall|---kA---m---kc---m---kb---|wall

with axes XA and XB at the equilibrium position of the left mass and right masses, the differential equations for the motion are:

mx¨A+kAxA+kC(xA-xB)=0

mx¨B+kBxB+kC(xB-xA)=0

After rearranging and ωi=√(ki/m)
A +xA[(ωA)2+(ωC)2]-xBC)2 = 0
and x¨B+xB[(ωB)2)+(ωC)2]-xAC)2=0

(I can't find anywhere on the site how to make a proper x double dot, anyone know?)displacement of each mass with have the form:
xA=Acos(ωt) and xB=Bcos(ωt)

plugging into the differential equations and solving for A/B on each and setting them equal to each other:

ωC2/(ωA2C22)=(ωb2C22)/ωC2

and here is where I get stuck. I have not been able to get the quadratic for ω2 into a form I can work with, so I think I have done something wrong, or there is a better way to go about this problem

Physics news on Phys.org
x24759 said:
(I can't find anywhere on the site how to make a proper x double dot, anyone know?)
If you use LaTeX (recommended) it's \ddot as a prefix to the character(s).
x24759 said:
I have not been able to get the quadratic for ω2 into a form I can work with,
Multiply out your equation, and think of ω2 as the unknown.

haruspex said:
Multiply out your equation, and think of ω2 as the unknown.

That is what I did, not getting anywhere. x=ω2 and A, B, C= ω2A B or Cx2 - x(A+B+C) +[AC+AB+BC]
doing the quadratic formula
x = (A+B+C)/2 ± ½√(A2+B2+C2-3AB-3BC-3AC)

I don't think that is moving in the right directing judging by the answer in the back (ω'2 = (kA+kB+kC)/m and ω''2 = kC/m)

x24759 said:
That is what I did, not getting anywhere. x=ω2 and A, B, C= ω2A B or Cx2 - x(A+B+C) +[AC+AB+BC]

Check the coefficient of C in the middle term.

TSny said:
Check the coefficient of C in the middle term.

I found the error, thanks.

the equation is x2 - x(A+B+2C) +[AC+AB+BC] and the roots are x = (A+B+2C)/2 ± ½√(A2+B2+4C2-2AB), which still does not get me to the right answer..

x24759 said:
I found the error, thanks.

the equation is x2 - x(A+B+2C) +[AC+AB+BC] and the roots are x = (A+B+2C)/2 ± ½√(A2+B2+4C2-2AB), which still does not get me to the right answer..
Yes, that's where I got to. I find the book answer doubtful, that there should be a mode that depends only on kC.

Remember, C can be written in terms of A and B.

TSny said:
Remember, C can be written in terms of A and B.
I read that as only pertaining to the last part of the question. If it is supposed to apply to the first part as well then the book answer is unnecessarily complicated.

I got it. Thanks for the help.

haruspex said:
I read that as only pertaining to the last part of the question. If it is supposed to apply to the first part as well then the book answer is unnecessarily complicated.
How would you simplify the book answer?

TSny said:
How would you simplify the book answer?
You're right - I was looking at x24759's answer.

ok.

haruspex said:
Yes, that's where I got to. I find the book answer doubtful, that there should be a mode that depends only on kC.

The problem provides kC=kAkB

After the eigenvalue equation is simplified into quadratic form, simplification is trivial, albeit a pain in the a**.

What is a coupled oscillator?

A coupled oscillator is a system of two or more oscillators that are connected or coupled in some way. This means that their motions are dependent on each other, causing them to behave in a coordinated manner.

What are the components of a coupled oscillator with 2 masses and 3 different springs?

The components of this type of coupled oscillator include two masses, each with their own position and velocity, and three springs connecting the masses. The masses are connected by two of the springs, while the third spring connects one of the masses to a fixed point.

How do the masses and springs interact in a coupled oscillator?

In a coupled oscillator, the masses and springs interact through the forces that are applied by the springs. As one mass moves, it exerts a force on the other mass through the connecting springs. This force causes the second mass to move, and the process repeats, creating a coordinated oscillatory motion between the two masses.

What is the significance of having different types of springs in a coupled oscillator?

The different types of springs in a coupled oscillator can affect the behavior and stability of the system. For example, stiffer springs will result in a faster oscillation, while looser springs may result in a slower, more damped oscillation. The combination of different springs can also lead to interesting and complex behaviors in the system.

How is the behavior of a coupled oscillator with 2 masses and 3 different springs modeled and analyzed?

The behavior of this type of coupled oscillator can be modeled using mathematical equations and analyzed through numerical simulations. These simulations can show how the system responds to different initial conditions and parameters, allowing for a deeper understanding of its behavior. Additionally, experimental studies can also be conducted to observe the physical behavior of the coupled oscillator.