Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coupling AC and DC magnetic fields

1. Aug 12, 2010 #1
    Hoping that one of you electrical wizards may be able to help me out!

I have a 30A DC HP power supply and a 1000W stereo amp that I want to use create a 10mT static DC magnetic field superimposed on top of a 1 mT AC magnetic field. To generate the AC field I have a 1 uF snubber cap. in series with my magnetic coil so that they resonate at around 1300 Hz (to overcome the massive inductive resistance). Using the SAME magnetic coil I want to couple my DC power supply into this circuit. What is the best method of doing this? I thought I could send my DC through a choke (inductor) and into the circuit right behind the cap., but such power chokes are massive and really expensive!

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 13, 2010 #2
    You could make a simple amplifier using the DC source and a power transistor after the snubber cap. It could designed to have a gain of one if you don't want to amplify the 1300 Hz signal any more than it is. Simple amplifiers will naturally have a DC offset and it actually takes a bit of work to get rid of the DC in the output. I'm not an amp pro so I don't know off the top of my head which particular transistor configuration will suit your needs best.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook