Coupling of spin to an electric field

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential effects of an electric field on spin in contrast to the well-known coupling of spin to a magnetic field. The consensus is that this coupling is expected to be extremely small and has not been extensively studied. However, there is some research and speculation on the topic, with a few articles and sources cited.
Asaba E
Hi PF members. I have got a little worry
I am familiar with the Zeeman term that always appears in the Hamiltonian of a spin chain representing the influence of an external magnetic field. I don't know if there is a similar term if the spin was rather in he presence of an electric field ( I just think if the electric field has effects on the spin, then those effects would be as important as those of the magnetic field). I have not come across any good literature on this. could some one point me in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
A coupling of spin to the electric field (in the usual way that a magnetic field is coupled) would violate both parity and time-reversal invariance, and hence is expected to be extremely small in most circumstances. For a single electron, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electron_electric_dipole_moment

It seems to me that it could happen in some sufficiently complicated material, but I don't know of any examples.

I think by writing Dirac equation (Relativistic counterpart of Schrodinger equation) and see it's low velocity limit , one find that spin just couples to magnetic part of the Gauge field. It is so strange that Electric field also couples to spin in low energy regime!

Thanks. I have always had the same view that the coupling of the electric field to spin would be very small hence negligible. Recently I came across an article discussing the effects of an electric field on spin wave dispersion relation in multiferriocs.(doi:10.4236/wjcmp.2012.24037 Published Online November 2012 (http://www.SciRP.org/journal/wjcmp) . I have been wondering within what limits can one consider the effects of an Electric field on the dynamics of spin chains?

ChrisVer said:
It's also here: http://arxiv.org/abs/0707.3080. They explain it as an indirect effect mediated by spin-orbit coupling:

Although electric fields do not couple directly to the electron spin, indirect coupling can still be realized ... through spin-orbit interaction, present in most semiconductor structures.
An electric field E(t) will periodically and adiabatically displace the electron wave function, so the electron spin will feel an oscillating effective field Beff(t) through the dependence of Beff on the position.

Likes 1 person

What is the concept of spin in physics?

Spin is an intrinsic property of particles, such as electrons and protons, that determines their angular momentum. It is usually represented by an arrow pointing in the direction of the particle's spin axis.

How does spin interact with an electric field?

Spin can couple with an electric field through a phenomenon called the spin-orbit interaction. This occurs when the electric field causes the charged particle's motion to be influenced by its own spin, resulting in a change in its trajectory.

What is the significance of coupling spin to an electric field?

Coupling spin to an electric field allows for the manipulation and control of spin states, which is essential for various applications in quantum computing and spintronics. It also provides a way to study the fundamental properties of particles and their interactions.

How is spin coupling to an electric field experimentally observed?

Spin coupling to an electric field can be observed through different techniques, such as spin-resolved photoemission spectroscopy and spin-dependent transport measurements. These experiments measure the changes in the spin states of particles when subjected to an electric field.

What are the potential applications of coupling spin to an electric field?

Coupling spin to an electric field has potential applications in quantum information processing, spin-based computing, and spin-based sensors. It also has implications in fundamental research, such as studying the spin properties of materials and particles.