Which College Course Will Be the Most Challenging Next Semester?

In summary: Study each of those subjects in depth, and you'll do just fine. In summary, the most difficult course for next semester is engineering physics, followed by dynamics.
Angry Citizen
Hey PF. I've got a month of break before classes start again, so naturally I'm going to spend it nose-down in books like a good little nerd. Trouble is, I don't want to use a shotgun approach to self-study; I'd rather use a focused approach on what I think might present the greatest difficulty next semester. So, could y'all help me out and tell me which course y'all think will be most problematic?

Course Schedule:

Ordinary Differential Equations: Some partial differential equations as well, but relegated to the unidimensional cases of the heat, wave, and potential equations. Pretty much a four-hour course using the Boyce-Diprima book, chapters 1-7 and then chapter 10. I already took this course, but made a D because I was an idiot and didn't practice the computational aspect. Retaking it again this spring.

Engineering Computation: "Numerical methods and applications to aerospace engineering problems. Three lecture hours a week for one semester." This is essentially a programming class using MATLAB, focusing on engineering applications.

Dynamics: "Two- and three-dimensional kinematics and dynamics, applied to a broad class of engineering problems. Three lecture hours a week for one semester, with discussion hours if necessary." Looks like engineering physics to me.

Thermodynamics: "First and second laws of thermodynamics; thermodynamic processes, cycles, and heat transfer. Three lecture hours a week for one semester." Looks like more physics to me.

Mechanics of Solids: "Internal forces and deformations in solids; stress and strain in elastic and plastic solids; application to simple engineering problems. Three lecture hours a week for one semester, with discussion hours if necessary." Looks like more--ah, of course I'm going to be taking loads of physics :D

Physics news on Phys.org
that term sounds awful lol . . . best of luck

i think dynamics is the worst, but that's me.

ODE's are ODE's. Learn how to work with them and you'll do fine. Practice makes, well, average lol.

NumComp for engineering: is typically tough if you aren't a programmer. I happen to have had tons of experience with MATLAB so when I took a course similar to this I was in good shape. It'll probably be challenging, but MATLAB is an incredible tool.

Dynamics: It is engineering physics. Generally with a focus on changing reference frames.

Thermo: It's not physics, really. It's heat transfer, fluid flow, and as you wrote, thermodynamic processes and cycles (adiabatic, entropy, bla bla bla).

Solid Mechanics is the study of stress and strain and deformation on materials. It's not really like physics except that it has equations.

I love ODE but it is something that requires practice. The computation class might be a bit hard if you don't have any programming experience, otherwise it should be easy. Matlab is a great environment that's really easy to work with. I just finished a class like that but my class was a complete waste of time with a completely useless professor.

I haven't taken Dynamics because I hated statics. It looks like engineering physics to you because that exactly what it is. I'll be taking thermo next semester so I can't comment on that.

All in all, I can't say there's any class there that's particularly difficult as a subject. Nothing easy though. So focus on your weaknesses, whether that be math, physics, or programming.

I understand the importance of taking a focused approach to self-study in order to achieve the best results. In order to determine which course may present the greatest difficulty, it is important to consider a few factors. Firstly, it is important to assess your own strengths and weaknesses in each subject. Which topics did you struggle with in the past and which ones did you excel in? This can help guide your focus in self-study.

Secondly, it is important to consider the level of complexity and depth of each course. From the course descriptions provided, it seems that Ordinary Differential Equations, Engineering Computation, and Mechanics of Solids may require a more mathematical and computational approach, while Dynamics and Thermodynamics may require a more conceptual understanding.

Additionally, it is important to consider the amount of time and effort required for each course. Some courses may have a heavier workload or require more practice and application, while others may require more reading and conceptual understanding.

Overall, it is difficult to determine which course may present the greatest difficulty without knowing your individual strengths and weaknesses. My advice would be to prioritize the courses that you struggled with in the past and focus on strengthening those areas. Additionally, try to balance your self-study time between the more mathematical and computational courses and the more conceptual courses. And most importantly, don't forget to take breaks and give yourself some time to relax and recharge during your break. Good luck in the upcoming semester!

1. What is a "Course Difficulty Guesstimate"?

A "Course Difficulty Guesstimate" is an estimation of how difficult a particular course or subject may be for a student. It takes into account factors such as the course content, workload, and previous student experiences.

2. How accurate is a "Course Difficulty Guesstimate"?

As the name suggests, a "Course Difficulty Guesstimate" is not an exact measure of difficulty. It is based on opinions and experiences, so it may vary from person to person. However, it can give a general idea of how difficult a course may be.

3. Who provides the "Course Difficulty Guesstimate"?

The "Course Difficulty Guesstimate" is usually provided by students who have taken the course before. They may share their experiences and opinions with others to help them gauge the difficulty of the course. Sometimes, professors or academic advisors may also provide these guesstimates.

4. How can a "Course Difficulty Guesstimate" be useful?

A "Course Difficulty Guesstimate" can be useful for students in planning their course schedules and managing their workload. It can also help them prepare mentally and academically for the expectations of a particular course.

5. Is a "Course Difficulty Guesstimate" the same as a course syllabus?

No, a "Course Difficulty Guesstimate" and a course syllabus are not the same. While a syllabus provides a detailed outline of the course, a "Course Difficulty Guesstimate" is a subjective estimation of the course difficulty based on personal experiences and opinions.