1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Covariant derivative and general relativity

1. Apr 9, 2007 #1

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I'm not really sure where to put this, so I thought it post it here!

I'm reading through my GR lecture notes, and have come across a comment that has confused me. I quote
    Now, I don't really see how this is true. For example, consider a scalar field f. The covariant derivative of this is
    [tex]\nabla_af\equiv\partial_af=\frac{\partial f}{\partial x^a}[/tex]

But, aren't [itex]\partial_af[/itex] the components of a covector?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I can only assume that they mean an isolated component of a covariant derivative eg [tex]\nabla_0f[/tex] is a scalar if f is scalar, vector if f is vector etc. Which would not be true for a partial derivative.

4. Apr 9, 2007 #3

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Thanks. So, I would be correct in saying that the covariant derivative of a type (r,s) tensor field is a type (r,s+1) tensor field, right?

5. Apr 9, 2007 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You betcha! And each covariant component of the (r,s+1) field is an (r,s) field - as is always the case.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2007
  6. Apr 9, 2007 #5

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Cheers, Dick!

7. Apr 9, 2007 #6

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

8. Apr 9, 2007 #7

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

He defines the covariant derivative by setting up the situation of two vector fields u and v ona manifold. Then, picking some point P, u determines a flow line passing through P; parametrised by some path parameter s, such that [tex]\bold{u}_P=\left.\frac{d}{ds}\right|_{s=s_P}[/tex]
    Suppose Q[itex]\neq[/itex]P is another point on the flowline corresponding to [itex]s_Q\neq s_P[/itex]. Then we write
    [tex]\bold{v}(s_Q)\equiv\bold{v}_Q, \hspace{2cm} \tilde{\bold{v}}(s_Q)\equiv \tilde{\bold{v}}_{QP}[/tex] [he actually uses a symbol with two parallel lines over v, like one side of a "norm" sign-- anyway, it means the vector field parallely transported from P, evaluated at Q]
    and define the covariant derivative as
    [tex]\nabla_{\bold{u}}\bold{v}_P=\lim_{s_Q\rightarrow s_P}\frac{\tilde{\bold{v}}(s_Q)-\bold{v}(s_Q)}{s_Q-s_P}[/tex]

9. Apr 9, 2007 #8

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

in that case, you are evaluating

[tex] u^a \nabla_a v^b [/tex], which is a vector.
    Thus, with the above definition,

10. Apr 9, 2007 #9

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Ok, so would I be correct in thinking that whilst [tex]\nabla_{\bold{u}}v^b=u^a\nabla_av^b[/tex] is a vector, [tex]\nabla_bv^a[/tex] is a not a vector, but is a type (1,1) tensor?

I think this makes sense, since clearly u^a is a vector; if [tex]\nabla_bv^a[/tex] is a type (1,1) tensor, then the product of the two will be a vector.

11. Apr 9, 2007 #10

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes.
    Of course, to do the "product", you'd do [tex] (u^b) (\nabla_b v^a)= u^b\nabla_b v^a[/tex].

12. Apr 9, 2007 #11

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes. Thanks for your help!

13. Apr 9, 2007 #12

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yeah, of course they meant [tex]\nabla_{\bold{u}}\bold{T}[/tex] in which case the extra index is contracted. Duh.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?