Covariant derivative and general relativity

In summary, Covariant differentiation does not change the character of the object being differentiated; viz, the covariant derivative of a vector is a vector, the covariant derivative of a scalar is a scalar.Dick provides a definition of covariant differentiation and explains that the covariant derivative of a vector is a vector, while the covariant derivative of a scalar is a scalar.
cristo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
I'm not really sure where to put this, so I thought it post it here!

I'm reading through my GR lecture notes, and have come across a comment that has confused me. I quote
Covariant differentiation does not change the character of the object being differentiated; viz, the covariant derivative of a vector is a vector, the covariant derivative of a scalar is a scalar

Now, I don't really see how this is true. For example, consider a scalar field f. The covariant derivative of this is
[tex]\nabla_af\equiv\partial_af=\frac{\partial f}{\partial x^a}[/tex]

But, aren't [itex]\partial_af[/itex] the components of a covector?

Physics news on Phys.org
I can only assume that they mean an isolated component of a covariant derivative eg [tex]\nabla_0f[/tex] is a scalar if f is scalar, vector if f is vector etc. Which would not be true for a partial derivative.

Thanks. So, I would be correct in saying that the covariant derivative of a type (r,s) tensor field is a type (r,s+1) tensor field, right?

You betcha! And each covariant component of the (r,s+1) field is an (r,s) field - as is always the case.

Last edited:
Cheers, Dick!

robphy said:
Cristo, what is the definition of "covariant differentiation" [in your notes]?
Note, e.g., http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Covariant_derivative
and http://www.utsc.utoronto.ca/~harper/Redten/redten/node36.html

He defines the covariant derivative by setting up the situation of two vector fields u and v ona manifold. Then, picking some point P, u determines a flow line passing through P; parametrised by some path parameter s, such that [tex]\bold{u}_P=\left.\frac{d}{ds}\right|_{s=s_P}[/tex]
Suppose Q[itex]\neq[/itex]P is another point on the flowline corresponding to [itex]s_Q\neq s_P[/itex]. Then we write
[tex]\bold{v}(s_Q)\equiv\bold{v}_Q, \hspace{2cm} \tilde{\bold{v}}(s_Q)\equiv \tilde{\bold{v}}_{QP}[/tex] [he actually uses a symbol with two parallel lines over v, like one side of a "norm" sign-- anyway, it means the vector field parallely transported from P, evaluated at Q]
and define the covariant derivative as
[tex]\nabla_{\bold{u}}\bold{v}_P=\lim_{s_Q\rightarrow s_P}\frac{\tilde{\bold{v}}(s_Q)-\bold{v}(s_Q)}{s_Q-s_P}[/tex]

in that case, you are evaluating

[tex] u^a \nabla_a v^b [/tex], which is a vector.
Thus, with the above definition,
cristo said:
the covariant derivative of a vector is a vector

Ok, so would I be correct in thinking that whilst [tex]\nabla_{\bold{u}}v^b=u^a\nabla_av^b[/tex] is a vector, [tex]\nabla_bv^a[/tex] is a not a vector, but is a type (1,1) tensor?

I think this makes sense, since clearly u^a is a vector; if [tex]\nabla_bv^a[/tex] is a type (1,1) tensor, then the product of the two will be a vector.

cristo said:
Ok, so would I be correct in thinking that whilst [tex]\nabla_{\bold{u}}v^b=u^a\nabla_av^b[/tex] is a vector, [tex]\nabla_bv^a[/tex] is a not a vector, but is a type (1,1) tensor?

I think this makes sense, since clearly u^a is a vector; if [tex]\nabla_bv^a[/tex] is a type (1,1) tensor, then the product of the two will be a vector.

Yes.
Of course, to do the "product", you'd do [tex] (u^b) (\nabla_b v^a)= u^b\nabla_b v^a[/tex].

robphy said:
Yes.
Of course, to do the "product", you'd do [tex] (u^b) (\nabla_b v^a)= u^b\nabla_b v^a[/tex].
Yes. Thanks for your help!

Yeah, of course they meant [tex]\nabla_{\bold{u}}\bold{T}[/tex] in which case the extra index is contracted. Duh.

1. What is the Covariant Derivative in general relativity?

The Covariant Derivative is a mathematical tool used in general relativity to describe the behavior of tensors (quantities that have both magnitude and direction) in a curved spacetime. It allows for the differentiation of tensors along curved paths in space and time, taking into account the curvature of the spacetime itself.

2. How is the Covariant Derivative different from the ordinary derivative?

The ordinary derivative is used to differentiate a function with respect to one variable, whereas the Covariant Derivative is used to differentiate tensors in curved spacetime. It takes into account the curvature of the spacetime, unlike the ordinary derivative which assumes a flat spacetime.

3. Why is the Covariant Derivative necessary in general relativity?

In general relativity, gravity is described as the curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of massive objects. The Covariant Derivative allows for the description of how tensors behave in this curved spacetime, making it a necessary tool in understanding gravity and its effects.

4. How is the Covariant Derivative calculated?

The Covariant Derivative is calculated using the Christoffel symbols, which are derived from the metric tensor. These symbols represent the connection between different points in the curved spacetime, and are used to account for the curvature when differentiating tensors.

5. Can the Covariant Derivative be applied to any tensor in general relativity?

Yes, the Covariant Derivative can be applied to any tensor in general relativity. This includes the metric tensor, which describes the curvature of spacetime, as well as other tensors that represent physical quantities like energy and momentum. It is a fundamental tool in general relativity and is crucial in understanding the behavior of matter and energy in curved spacetime.