Covariant derivative of coordinates

In summary, the conversation discusses the covariant derivative of the tangent vector to a path and its applications, as well as the equation \nabla_{\alpha}x^{\beta}=\frac{\partial x^\beta}{\partial x^\alpha}+\Gamma^{\beta}_{\alpha\gamma}x^{\gamma}=\delta_{\alpha}^{\beta}+\Gamma^{\beta}_{\alpha \gamma}x^{\gamma} and its manipulation to obtain (\delta_{\alpha}^{\beta} +\Gamma^{\beta}_{\alpha\gamma}x^{\gamma}-\Omega_{ \alpha}^{\beta})u^{\alpha}=J_{ \alpha}^{\
jfy4
Hi,

I am familiar with the covariant derivative of the tangent vector to a path, [itex]\nabla_{\alpha}u^{\beta}[/itex] and some interesting ways to use it. I am wondering about
[tex]
\nabla_{\alpha}x^{\beta}=\frac{\partial x^\beta}{\partial x^\alpha}+\Gamma^{\beta}_{\alpha\gamma}x^{\gamma}=\delta_{\alpha}^{\beta}+\Gamma^{\beta}_{\alpha \gamma}x^{\gamma}
[/tex]
Then if we let this equal some arbitrary (1,1)-tensor we can manipulate to get
[tex]
\frac{d\tau}{dx^{\alpha}}\frac{dx^{\beta}}{d\tau}+\Gamma^{\beta}_{\alpha\gamma}x^{\gamma}=\Omega^{ \beta}_{\alpha}
[/tex]
which can be rewritten as
[tex]
(\delta_{\alpha}^{\beta} +\Gamma^{\beta}_{\alpha\gamma}x^{\gamma}-\Omega_{ \alpha}^{\beta})u^{\alpha}=J_{ \alpha}^{\beta}u^{\alpha}=0
[/tex]
which looks like a classic homogeneous linear algebra problem (that's the simplification I made in the last equality, just aesthetic). Does this equation have a good physical meaning, or is this just non-sense?

Thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
The covariant derivative applies to vector fields. As the coordinates do not form vector fields in a curved geometry, I don't believe taking their "covariant derivatives" will have any physical meaning. In the end, you don't have a (1,1) tensor since the x's are not vectors.

At the very best, I guess if you consider the coordinates to be functions (i.e. f(x)=x), then you have 4 separate one forms at the end, where the beta index merely labels which one form you have. In this case, the "contraction" with the Christoffel symbol is not kosher as the covariant derivative of a function is equal to the regular partial derivative.

okay, but I know one can take a parametrized covariant derivative, for quantities that evolve on a curve, [itex]x^{\alpha}(\tau)[/itex], of the form
[tex]
\frac{D}{D\tau}=\frac{d}{d\tau}+\Gamma^{\alpha}_{ \beta \gamma}u^{\gamma}
[/tex]
[tex]
\frac{DA^\alpha(\tau)}{D\tau}=\frac{dA^{\alpha}}{d\tau}+\Gamma^{\alpha}_{\beta\gamma}u^{\beta}A^{ \gamma}
[/tex]
These quantities are not vector fields but are only defined on curves, like the spin of a particle. I'm also aware that [itex]x^{\alpha}[/itex] does in general not transform covariantly, so I was worried about taking the derivative in the first place, which is why I asked the forum.

Thanks for your answer.

[itex]\frac{D}{D\tau}=\frac{d}{d\tau}+\Gamma^\alpha_{ \beta\gamma}u^\gamma[/itex] only works if what that operator is acting on is a vector. If that operator is acting on a tensor, then the form of that operator will change. If that operator is acting on a function (e.g. f(x)=x), then the Christoffel symbol term is not there.

Essentially, [tex]\frac{D}{D\tau}=u^\gamma \nabla_\gamma[/tex]. Remember that for a rank 2 tensor, the covariant derivative is [tex]\nabla_\gamma T^{\mu\nu}=\frac{d}{dx^\gamma}T^{\mu\nu}+\Gamma^ \mu_{\gamma\rho}T^{\rho\nu}+\Gamma^\nu_{\gamma\rho}T^{\mu\rho}[/tex], and this form changes depending on the rank of the tensor. Since your x is not a vector (but can only at best be thought of as a set of 4 functions...which aren't even scalars), I don't think your expression holds any physical meaning.

What is a covariant derivative?

A covariant derivative is a mathematical operation that describes how a vector field changes as it moves along a curved surface. It takes into account the curvature of the surface and adjusts the vector accordingly.

How is the covariant derivative of coordinates calculated?

The covariant derivative of coordinates is calculated using the Christoffel symbols, which are functions of the metric tensor. The formula for the covariant derivative is dX^a/dx^b = dX^a/dx^b + Γ^a_bc dX^c/dx^b, where Γ^a_bc is the Christoffel symbol.

What is the significance of the covariant derivative in physics?

The covariant derivative plays a crucial role in general relativity, where it is used to describe the curvature of spacetime. It is also used in other areas of physics, such as fluid mechanics and electromagnetism, to describe how physical quantities change as they move through a curved space.

What is the difference between the covariant derivative and the partial derivative?

The covariant derivative takes into account the curvature of a space, while the partial derivative does not. Therefore, the covariant derivative is a more general and accurate way to describe how a quantity changes as it moves through a curved space.

How is the covariant derivative related to the Levi-Civita connection?

The covariant derivative is defined using the Levi-Civita connection, which is a unique connection that is compatible with the metric tensor of a space. The Levi-Civita connection is used to calculate the Christoffel symbols, which are then used to find the covariant derivative of a vector field.