Point Conception
Gold Member
- 1,187
- 1,961
Last edited:
robphy said:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whip_It_(Devo_song)
Devo - Whip It (Live On Fridays) (1980)
See also Swiffer Wet Jet - Whip It / Devo /commercial 2003
See also Jerry Casale w/ Deva perform “Whip it” @devo5k 2021 in Akron, Ohio (2021)
MOBY - Whip It (DEVO cover) (1996)
Pearl Jam - Whip It - 10.31.09 Spectrum Philly 4 - Halloween (2009)
Dananananaykroyd cover DEVO 'Whip It' for Like A Version (2009)
Whip It (Dev2.0, 2009)
Whip It (Devo cover) - The Engagements (2018)
(from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self_Control_(Raf_song))Wikipedia said:"Self Control" is a song by Italian singer Raf, released in 1984. [...]
The track topped the charts in Italy and Switzerland, and started the explosion and dominance of Italo disco-style recordings in continental European charts during the 1980s.
(from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italo_disco)Wikipedia said:Although Italo disco was successful in mainland Europe during the 1980s, only few singles reached the UK charts, such as Ryan Paris's "Dolce Vita", Laura Branigan's "Self Control", Baltimora's "Tarzan Boy", Spagna's "Call Me" and Sabrina's "Boys", all of which were top 5 hits. Italo disco maintained an influence in the UK's underground music scenes in the UK, and its impact can be heard in the music of several British electronic acts such as the Pet Shop Boys, Erasure and New Order.
DennisN said:Ok, a bit of a guilty pleasure here from me...
I have to admit I love this song...
...it's Italo Disco, and the sounds are dated and the video is a bit cheesy, but I think the song is darn good; I can't resist the melodies and arrangement.
And I favor the original because it's more rough than the cover.
Raf - Self control (Official Video)
Covered by Laura Branigan in the 1980s:
Laura Branigan - Self Control
And the song has had a huge influence:(from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self_Control_(Raf_song))(from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italo_disco)
pinball1970 said:First look @DennisN it does look heavy on the fromages de belles France but I will give it a go, as it's you!
Cheese vid, 80s sound, meh baseline....This better have a killer chord progression that Bach would be proud of and lyrics that would make Lennon weep!DennisN said:I sure can't guarantee you'll approve of it
.
I'd say it's best to try to filter out the dated sound when listening, and listen to the feeling and composition of it, it's very catchy, and with a strange dark feeling to it.
(The bassline sucks though in my opinion, so try not to listen to that).
No sorry, it hasn't at allpinball1970 said:This better have a killer chord progression that Bach would be proud of and lyrics that would make Lennon weep!
Hornbein said:I'm not going to listen to six Whip Its. Pick the best and leave the rest.
pinball1970 said:I like the fact you offer at least four versions!
robphy said:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whip_It_(Devo_song)
Devo - Whip It
Whip It (Devo cover) - The Engagements (2018)
fresh_42 said:This is an interesting way ...
to cover ...
Speaking of interesting and weird covers, here is a very weird onefresh_42 said:This is an interesting way ...
to cover ...
morrobay said:
Their cover of Meghan Trainor's All About That Bass is fun. Original:pinball1970 said:PMJ
Ibix said:Ok, and a random youtube crawl from that one brought me to this rendition of Paint It Black to the tune of Back To Black:
Hornbein said:My contribution to terrible covers.
They were good.Hornbein said:I can beat all those Back In Blacks. From Kyiv.