Cover songs versus the original track, which ones are better?

  • Thread starter Thread starter pinball1970
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Track
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
2,607 replies · 201K views
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Frabjous said:
When I go non-canonical, I listen to this Deep Purple Version.


My favourite players of all time. Live no one could touch them.
Totally different band when Gillan and Glover left in 1973.
 
Jaco Pastorius' Teen Town on a harpiji that is triggering virtual instruments.

 
Hornbein said:
Jaco Pastorius' Teen Town on a harpiji that is triggering virtual instruments.


I will watch later as this is one of my all time favourite bass lines.
Lots of 13th chords from memory!
 
Hornbein said:

No idea on tuning, she's obviously done this to stick the tune in which she is very skilled at.
When I saw the capo I thought she might sing!
 
pinball1970 said:
No idea on tuning, she's obviously done this to stick the tune in which she is very skilled at.
When I saw the capo I thought she might sing!
And Your Bird Can Sing



 
Hornbein said:
And Your Bird Can Sing




That duo were fantastic, not an easy guitar part and they made the 3 part harmony 2 part without sounding empty loved it.
The parrot ha ha! Wonderful!
 
Last edited:
Hornbein said:

Ok so I need to investigate their channel don't I? On this he actually sounds like George, freaky. Brilliant again and love the effects the girl is sticking in.
 
Hornbein said:

She is doing the LOW part on "Sun sun sun here it comes." Wow. There are just so many talented people out there, that's why I love you tube. For music you cannot beat it.
 
Last edited:
pinball1970 said:
that's why I love you tube. For music you cannot beat it.
It's sort of like going to a speakeasy during Prohibition. You gotta know the right places. Heh heh.

Here's another good one. These men have mastered the falsetto. Also you can see the damper that the bass player uses. Fender basses all used to come with a foam rubber damper in the bridge cover to get a more of a string bass style of attack. In the 1960's bass players almost all removed the bridge and pickup covers and threw them away so eventually Fender gave up and stopped supplying them. Nowadays some damp with their palm, but that's too uncomfortable for me.

Rickenbacker basses have or maybe had a hinged damper that can be enabled and disabled, but I've never heard anyone use them except maybe Paul McCartney. Everybody else wants to be Chris Squire.



Here's another good one. That guitar part sounds a lot better on the real thing.

 
Last edited:
Hornbein said:
It's sort of like going to a speakeasy during Prohibition. You gotta know the right places. Heh heh.

Here's another good one. These men have mastered the falsetto. Also you can see the damper that the bass player uses. Fender basses all used to come with a foam rubber damper in the bridge cover to get a more of a string bass style of attack. In the 1960's bass players almost all removed the bridge and pickup covers and threw them away so eventually Fender gave up and stopped supplying them. Nowadays some damp with their palm, but that's too uncomfortable for me.

Rickenbacker basses have or maybe had a hinged damper that can be enabled and disabled, but I've never heard anyone use them except maybe Paul McCartney. Everybody else wants to be Chris Squire.



Here's another good one. That guitar part sounds a lot better on the real thing.


Mrs Robinson is great
 
Hornbein said:

I liked her voice, harmonies but you cannot just stop before the solo!
 
pinball1970 said:
I liked her voice, harmonies but you cannot just stop before the solo!
OK, you asked for it.

 
I mostly listen to music from Japan, but I must say that Caucasians have something the others can't quite duplicate. (Though the Van Halen brothers had an Asian grandmother.)

 
I love Holly Cole. Her voice just melts my heart every time. She made a lot of covers, here are a few of my favorites:

Original (I want you):

​


Cover:

​


Original (Calling you):

​


Cover:

​


Original (If I were a bell):

​


Cover:

​


Original (Jersey girl):


Cover:


Original (Falling down):


Cover:


Original (The Tennesee Waltz):


Cover:

 
pinball1970 said:
These guys are great, thanks again @Hornbein


That two-guitar intro is SO cool.
 
jack action said:
I love Holly Cole. Her voice just melts my heart every time. She made a lot of covers, here are a few of my favorites:

Original (I want you):

​


Cover:

​


Original (Calling you):

​


Cover:

​


Original (If I were a bell):

​


Cover:

​


Original (Jersey girl):


Cover:


Original (Falling down):


Cover:


Original (The Tennesee Waltz):


Cover:


My that's a beautiful arrangement. 3K views a year? Tough business, music. Can swing her tushy off too. Can't hate that. It's always a pleasure to welcome such a fine artist into one's musical life.

Tom Waits later became a disciple of Captain Beefheart. I'm not so sure it was an influence beneficial for him. Maybe it unleashed something that had better been kept in confinement.
 
Trap drummer Anika Niiles covers the Mahavishnu Orchestra's You Know You Know. It made my hair stand on end. That hardly ever happens.

 
This guy records buskers in Cardiff centre.