Cover songs versus the original track, which ones are better?

  • Thread starter Thread starter pinball1970
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Track
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
2,607 replies · 201K views
Live version of Gimmi Shelter.

 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Hornbein and Astranut
Physics news on Phys.org
robphy said:
#1,618
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cult_of_Personality_(song) (1988)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Living_Colour

(2009) Living Colour - Cult Of Personality (Official Video)

- acoustic Corey Glover Cult of personality "(2022) Corey Glover at Mattingly’s Tavern in Florida NY 1/14/22" (great vocals and great acoustic guitar)
- (1989) Living Colour performing "Cult Of Personality" on Arsenio





(2023) LIVING COLOUR - CULT OF PERSONALITY | COVER by Sanca Records - ( Indonesia )


(2021) Living Colour - Cult Of Personality (Cover by Just Joe)


(2020) Living Colour - Cult Of Personality (Epic Love Acoustic Cover)


(2018) MET "Cult of personality " (Living Colour cover) - ( Italy )
 
Here's one popular cover I think we've missed in this thread: Ain't that a shame by Cheap Trick, originally by Fats Domino. I added another one from Emily Linge, one of our favorites in this thread.





​
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Hornbein and robphy
Chuck Berry - Johnny B. Goode



Amazing cover.

 
jack action said:
Here's one popular cover I think we've missed in this thread: Ain't that a shame by Cheap Trick, originally by Fats Domino. I added another one from Emily Linge, one of our favorites in this thread.





​

That Cheap Trick ebass player is very solid, sort of a one-man band. I couldn't figure out who it was easily enough to be bothered. I guess it's Pete Comita who was with them for only a year.
 
Original



Cover 1



Cover 2 seven years later.

 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Astranut and robphy
War Pigs & Mr Crowley (last performances by Ozzy Osbourne and Black Sabbath... and covers in honor of this)


robphy said:
robphy said:
#1834
(2025) uKanDanZ - WAR PIGS (Official Music Video)
robphy said:

(July 5, 2025) Black Sabbath - War Pigs (FINAL PERFORMANCE) - Back To The Beginning Live in Birmingham 05/07/25 - incomplete
&t=1m35s


(July 1, 2025) Judas Priest - War Pigs
from Black Sabbath's YouTube page
We are honored to show our love for Ozzy and Black Sabbath with our homage to 'War Pigs' - A song we play at every show around the world that fans sing along to - reinforcing their love as well for the legendary Prince of Darkness....!!






Mr Crowley

robphy said:

(July 5, 2025) Mr. Crowley - Ozzy Osbourne Final Performance *HQ* Back To The Beginning - Birmingham 05.07.2025
&t=1m29s


(July 6, 2025) Jack Black feat. Roman Morello, Revel Ian, Yoyoka Soma & Hugo Weiss - “Mr Crowley”
from Ozzy Osbourne's YouTube page
 
Last edited:
fresh_42 said:
Only a short clip and not a professional cover, but interesting anyway:


The sign of a great song, you can play it on anything and it will still sound amazing.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Astranut and fresh_42
I have played a few of these, Piccadilly and Victoria. Not as good as him plus I would have tried to sing this one.
Falsetto is so much easier after 5 or 6 beers.

 
pinball1970 said:
The sign of a great song, you can play it on anything and it will still sound amazing.
My personal opinion is that it is the best song of the last century, with its rhythm changes and crossover elements. However, I wonder how the staccato element (Galileo) would sound on an organ.
 
fresh_42 said:
My personal opinion is that it is the best song of the last century, with its rhythm changes and crossover elements. However, I wonder how the staccato element (Galileo) would sound on an organ.
Flute is pretty staccato on an organ. It's been a while
 
I like this because she captures her, she is a kid obviously and not matured vocally but she has that quality.

Also nifty split key switch.

 
The original, posted the non video one, the dancing can be off putting!
 
Same lass. Note the harmony click and does not miss a beat.

 
pinball1970 said:
The original, posted the non video one, the dancing can be off putting!

Kate Bush invented the modern pop show, with lots of dance and costumes and no band on the stage. Remember that dance Madonna did with men in trench coats? Kate did it first, and didn't lip sync. You have to be both young and in great shape to do that.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Astranut and pinball1970
Nice to play on the piano and I remember just about doing the falsetto.

 
Kate again (the other one)

 
Hornbein said:
Kate Bush invented the modern pop show, with lots of dance and costumes and no band on the stage. Remember that dance Madonna did with men in trench coats? Kate did it first, and didn't lip sync. You have to be both young and in great shape to do that.
Yes, I know my Kate! She was an unparalleled genius at 18. She could write, play, sing and choreograph. All of those things being unique, creative and long lasting. The stuff she wrote as a 15 year old, sang as 16 year old, danced/performed as a 19 year old are still amazing today.
 
jack action said:
Funny ...

​

Not as mean as the modified version of Kokomo, or the modified version of Living Next Door to Alice.
 
Orig

I liked this song when I was a kid (1966). Still do. The AEON department stores in Japan play songs from this era over their PA systems, a nice bonus.



Cover

 
  • Love
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Astranut and pinball1970