Cover songs versus the original track, which ones are better?

  • Thread starter Thread starter pinball1970
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Track
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
2,607 replies · 201K views
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Never_Gonna_Give_You_Up (1987)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Astley

Rick Astley - Never Gonna Give You Up (Official Video) (4K Remaster)





Rick Astley - Never Gonna Give You Up - Ska Punk Cover by The Holophonics

(see also their honorable mention in #2,070 - I Ran (So Far Away) )

Rick Astley - Never Gonna Give You Up (Hannah Trigwell acoustic version)


Never Gonna Give You Up - Amazing Musical Virtuoso Gunhild Carling Plays Bagpipes, Trumpet & more -PostModernJukebox


If Never Gonna Give You Up was DEATH METAL - Denis Pauna


--pottymouth alert--
Foo Fighters & Rick Astley, Never Gonna Give You Up, Multi-camera, Tokyo, 20.8.17

- Dave Grohl's story about Rick Astley
- "IT WAS JUST MAD..." 😱 Rick Astley Joined Foo Fighters To Sing "Never Gonna Give You Up" In Japan
- Foo Fighters With Rick Astley - Never Gonna Give You Up - London O2 Arena 19 September 2017


Honorable mention:
Josephine Alexandra - Never Gonna Give You Up (Rick Astley)
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/vH5DpN_uKD8
(more: Josephine Alexandra on PF )
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Silver Thread and Golden Needles
The original. Wanda Jackson.


A young Linda Ronstadt


Loretta Lynn, Tammy Wynette, and Dolly Parton
 
Last edited:
Had the original song "Breakeven" by the Irish band The Script pop up in my head a few days ago, so I found this acoustic cover. Good remake of a late 2000s classic.

 
  • Like
  • Care
Likes   Reactions: difalcojr and pinball1970
pinball1970 said:
Great voice

This is how they did it in the 1970s

 
  • Love
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: difalcojr, robphy and fresh_42
Last edited:
  • Love
  • Agree
Likes   Reactions: difalcojr and pinball1970
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncle_Albert/Admiral_Halsey (1971)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_McCartney

Paul & Linda McCartney — Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey (Official)




Kellin Covers Paul and Linda McCartney’s “Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey” on 4/16/22 (version 2)


Holly Henderson, Paul McCartney - Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey cover


Paul McCartney Uncle Albert Admiral Halsey (acoustic cover) - joehlers -Instrumental arrangement for solo guitar acoustic steel string.


IGE - Cover of Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey by McCartney and Wings


uncle albert / admiral halsey (paul and linda mccartney cover) - posturex1

( see also #1,695 Say What You Will )




Honorable mention:
- Uncle Albert / Admiral Halsey - Paul McCartney full cover - Ryohei Kanayama
- Uncle Albert Admiral Halsey - Todd Lorenc Music - ukelele
 
robphy said:
( I remember seeing Heart during their Heart-1985 tour at the Nassau Coliseum in NY.)

I saw them in 1976. They had these big white futuristic speaker cabinets that I never encountered again.
 
Not crazy about the vocal but I love the guitar part. It makes me wish I could still play that instrument (arthritis(. Fortunately can still play ebass and keyboards.



Recently her singing is much improved.
 
Last edited:


A genuine original Moog. It's really hard to record with those things. You have to multitrack and the pitch drifts.
 
Hot on Your Heels (1983)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steeler_(American_band_album)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Keel
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yngwie_Malmsteen

(1983) Steeler -04- Hot On Your Heels (HD) with Yngwie Malmsteen's 3-minute groundbreaking intro solo - Yngwie was 19

- Yngwie Malmsteen: Guitar Player Magazine 1982 Demo Tape.
- (Yngwie on PF)

- How Ron Keel discovered Yngwie Malmsteen - Inside the Musical Mind
- (2024)-Yngwie Malmsteen to Ron Keel on STEELER Songs, "They're FN' boring" - Rik Fox Interview --enlightening

- (1983) STEELER - Live at Reseda 1983 (full) from the soundboard -
- (1983) Yngwie's solo &t=34m47s from above
- (1983) Yngwie's solo (clearer version) from the same show






(2022) Yngwie's 🔥 ERUPTION 🧯 | Hot On Your Heels | Guitar Cover - Magy Himself --intro only


(2021) STEELER / HOT ON YOUR HEELS - Guitar Cover - Ronnie Stone --main song ; nice crunchy tone



(1985) Hot on your heels (cover of Yngwie's intro) - Musician´s Coffehouse 1985 - Jason Becker --raw video when Jason was 15 or 16

(Jason Becker on PF)


(2024) Hot On Your Heels Cover - Yasuo Saeki --he covers Yngwie's intro solo and the main song by Steeler --quite a character, trying to give you the full Yngwie experience.... with guitar face.




Honorable Mention:
- Steeler Hot On Your Heels Cesario Filho - the song's solo part
- (2013) Hot on Your Heels cover by Endeavor at the Stone Pony in Asbury Park, New Jersey.

https://www.songsterr.com/a/wsa/steeler-hot-on-your-heelss-tab-s2067056t0
https://www.songsterr.com/a/wsa/unknown-artist-steeler-04-hot-on-your-heels-tab-s2085313
 
Last edited:
  • Like
  • Love
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970 and jack action
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Was_Made_for_Lovin'_You (1979)
Despite the backlash, the song has become a concert staple over the years, with a different arrangement that de-emphasizes the song's disco elements. Gene Simmons has stated that "I Was Made for Lovin' You" is his least favorite Kiss song, and Ace Frehley and Peter Criss have also indicated that they dislike the song.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiss_(band)

Kiss - I Was Made For Lovin' You





I WAS MADE FOR LOVIN' YOU (KISS) Band Cover by KNULP

(KNULP on PF)


KILL - "I Was Made For Killin' You" (KISS Parody)
jack action said:
So looking for music from my favorite band KISS, I stumble across The Merkins:

​


I Was Made For Lovin' You - Kiss ("Spaghetti Western" Style Cover) ft. Effie Passero (PostModernJukebox)


I Was Made For Loving You - KISS; By The Iron Cross


YUNGBLUD - I Was Made For Lovin’ You (from The Fall Guy)



Honorable mention:
- I Was Made for Loving You - HALIENE
- I Was Made For Loving You - The Nasty Boys
- DreyRock feat. Kiss - Loving You
- ¿Cómo sonaría KISS - I WAS MADE FOR LOVIN' YOU en Español? - Nico Borie
 
Last edited:
  • Like
  • Love
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970, jack action and fresh_42
To continue with @robphy 's post, here's a collection of Kiss song performances from The Voice around the world. The first one is Heaven's on Fire done by kids with great energy and the following three others are all nice variations of I Was Made For Lovin' You. The last one will leave you breathless! (Marketing trick to encourage you to listen till the end!)

​


I sadly learn in this thread the passing of Ace Frehley. I don't remember when I began listening to Kiss. My mother told me I probably saw them on TV and was impressed by their makeup and theatrics. My first "adult" album was Destroyer. I still remember picking it up at the disc store when I was about 7 years-old.

In hommage to him, and to respect the subject of this thread, here's a guitar cover of Snowblind, one of my favorite Ace Frehley' songs on my playlist:



​
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970 and robphy
robphy said:


  • (2023) What Gene Simmons Hates About the KISS Hit “I Was Made for Lovin’ You” - Howard Stern Show


  • (2005) Ace Frehley on The Howard Stern Show - 05/03/05 - Howard Stern Show


  • (1979) Ace Frehley's Best Interview: KISS On the Tom Snyder Show Oct 31 1979 (Remaster)


  • (1980) KISS Unmasked: A Rare 1980 Interview with the Original Band | 60 Minutes Australia


  • (1975) KISS - April 1, 1975 - The Midnight Special


  • (2008) ACE FREHLEY JOINS THE KISS ACOUSTIC SET ON KKVIII FOR 4 SONGS R.I.P. ACE
 
Cover of Toto's White Sister by Sina Doering