Covering credit card 3 digit code

In summary, taping over the 3 digit code on the back of a credit card is not recommended by any UK card issuer, and using a 3/8" drill bit to remove the code is not a practical or common means of securing the card.
Cobul
What would be the best way to cover the 3 digit code at the back of a credit card? Some suggest using correcting liquid (but it is easy to remove it and apply new one).

Many restaurants still get our cards to swipe at their counter. Only very few go to table to swipe it. Also sometimes we gave our credit card to gasoline station personnel whenever we have our gas filled up.

What do you use to cover the 3 digits? What is the most sensitive warranty fragile sticker around?

The logic is that when we found out it was tampered, then we would block the card immediately (before they can use it though).

Computer science news on Phys.org
If you are concerned about this you should contact your credit card provider for advice.

pbuk said:
If you are concerned about this you should contact your credit card provider for advice.

They just say to tape it, and can't provide other methods. That is why I was asking what kinds of cover you guys used.

Cobul said:
What would be the best way to cover the 3 digit code at the back of a credit card?
3/8" drill bit.

• Haha
Likes Wrichik Basu, Vanadium 50, anorlunda and 3 others
Memorize it and scrape it off with a knife, if you're worried about it.

I don't really care that much, because I know that the banks are the ones that lose money if my card is used fraudulently, provided I notice in a month or so and tell them.

Also why I don't EVER use my ATM cards.

Likes Dale and russ_watters
russ_watters said:
3/8" drill bit.
##\dots## and please move that over to the RFID chip ##\dots##

Cobul said:
They just say to tape it.
Really? I don't know where you are but no card issuer in the UK recommends this.

On the rare occasions where I need to hand over a credit card to someone else, I use my Apple Card which has no numbers imprinted on it, not even the account number.

Likes vela and russ_watters
Since there is really no practical means to cover the code while preventing a bad actor from uncovering it and since there is little need to do this in light of how credit card companies handle fraud, I hereby close this thread and thank you for contributing here.

To the OP I believe you are worrying about nothing here. The code is used to verify that the mag strip and card number are the same As a common malpractice was to change the mag strip with a different card number. it has since expanded to online use and other places as a means to verify that you have a valid card.

I doubt any retailer seeing that scraped off would allow you to provide them with that number.

Thanks everyone.

Last edited:
Likes russ_watters

What is the purpose of the 3 digit code on a credit card?

The 3 digit code, also known as the CVV or CVV2 code, is a security feature on credit cards used to verify the authenticity of the card during online or over-the-phone transactions. It is an additional layer of security to prevent fraud and unauthorized use of the card.

Where can I find the 3 digit code on my credit card?

The location of the 3 digit code may vary depending on the type of credit card. For Visa, Mastercard, and Discover cards, the code is usually found on the back of the card, in the signature panel. For American Express cards, the code is usually found on the front of the card, above the card number.

Is the 3 digit code the same as the PIN for my credit card?

No, the 3 digit code and the PIN are two different security features on a credit card. The PIN is a 4-digit code used for in-person transactions and ATM withdrawals, while the 3 digit code is used for online and over-the-phone transactions.

Can I change my 3 digit code on my credit card?

No, the 3 digit code is a unique security code that is generated by the credit card issuer and cannot be changed by the cardholder. If you believe your code has been compromised, you can contact your credit card issuer to request a new card with a new code.

Is it safe to share my 3 digit code for online purchases?

Yes, it is generally safe to share your 3 digit code when making online purchases from reputable and secure websites. However, it is important to always be cautious when sharing any personal information online and to only make purchases from trusted sources.