Creating energy from pressure?

In summary, air can be compressed and this creates an energy source that can be harnessed by an engine. However, this is not a practical system and is not covered on this site.
thunderfan97
Hey guys!

I was just wondering if it is possible to create energy from compressing air? For example, a ziplock bag filled with air. If you sit on the bag, the air tries to escape. Is there any way to harness this energy? If so, would it be an efficient enough to be a practically applied system?

Engineering news on Phys.org
thunderfan97 said:
Hey guys!

I was just wondering if it is possible to create energy from compressing air? For example, a ziplock bag filled with air. If you sit on the bag, the air tries to escape. Is there any way to harness this energy? If so, would it be an efficient enough to be a practically applied system?

You don't get out any more energy than you invested in compressing the air. If you have a source of oscillating pressure, you can make an engine that cycles with the pressure. But you would need to find a source of oscillating air pressure someplace...

So say there was a source of oscillating pressure. Would it be possible then?

Yeah, sure. That's basically how an internal combustion engine (ICE) works.

Oh ok! thanks!

If you are thinking of a closed-system mechanical device that creates a system of oscillating pressure that you would then harness for energy, you are talking about over-unity machines and that's a no-no here, since this site is dedicated to science, not crackpottedness.

If you are simply curious, yes, there are ways of harnessing this type of power, look at IC engines and (in a similar sense) hydroelectric turbines.

Would you explain the "over-unity" machine? I'm not sure I know what that is.

thunderfan97 said:
Would you explain the "over-unity" machine? I'm not sure I know what that is.

It's the classic perpetual motion machine (PMM) that people try to dream up. To be able to create free energy from some gadget. Those are closed topics here at the PF. From the Rules link at the top of the page:

PF Forbidden Topics said:
Pseudoscience, such as (but not limited to):

Perpetual motion and "free energy" discussions
http://wiki.4hv.org/index.php/Free_Energy_Debunking
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perpetual_motion
http://www.skepdic.com/freeenergy.html
http://www.skepdic.com/perpetual.html

You can follow those links to learn more. But we don't discuss PMMs or over-uinty, free energy topics here. They are a waste of time.

Over unity is an expression used to describe mythical devices or processes that output more energy than you put in. It therefore refers to a mechanical effiiciency of greater than one or unity, since efficiency = output/input.

Oh ok, I see where I went wrong. Instead of a source of oscilating pressure, could you use a natural force, such as gravity, to compress the air?

thunderfan97 said:
Oh ok, I see where I went wrong. Instead of a source of oscilating pressure, could you use a natural force, such as gravity, to compress the air?

No. You are not going to be able to draw energy out of a static field like gravity.

Please read the links that I quoted above. This thread is closed.

What is pressure energy?

Pressure energy is a type of potential energy that is stored in an object or substance due to the force applied on it by another object or substance. It is the energy that is stored when something is compressed or squeezed.

How can energy be created from pressure?

Energy can be created from pressure through various methods such as using pressure to compress air, which can then be released to turn a turbine and generate electricity. Other methods include using hydraulic systems or converting pressure into heat energy through friction.

What are the benefits of creating energy from pressure?

Creating energy from pressure can have numerous benefits, including being a renewable and environmentally friendly source of energy. It also allows for energy to be stored and used when needed, making it a more reliable source of energy compared to some other renewable sources.

What are some challenges of creating energy from pressure?

One of the main challenges of creating energy from pressure is finding a way to efficiently capture and store the energy. This can require complex infrastructure and technology, which can be expensive and time-consuming to develop. Additionally, the amount of energy that can be produced from pressure may be limited depending on the source and method used.

How is pressure energy being used in current energy production?

Pressure energy is being used in various ways in current energy production. For example, hydropower plants use pressure from water to turn turbines and generate electricity. Compressed air is also being used in some power plants to store energy and provide backup power. Additionally, pressure energy is being explored as a potential source for renewable energy in the future.