Creating Magnetic Field Using Electric Lighter and Notebook?

In summary: Keep in mind that all electronic equipment emits some EM radiation, so if you are near any electronic devices (TV's, radios, computers, etc) you may be causing interference with them.
Marcin H
So my friend was playing around with an electric lighter like the one below and he put the arc through the metal spirals on his notebook. The hole from the spirals was pointed towards his monitor and whenever he touched the arc of the lighter to the metal notebook rings the laptop monitor would glitch and flash, kinda like turning off for a quick second. Point the spiral hole away stopped this. What is going on here? Is there a magnetic field being created through the coils of the notebook rings and being shot out towards the monitor messing with the components inside or something? The notebook was also like 1-2 feet away from the monitor. Can a magnetic field reach that far? Is this even a magnetic field? What happened?

zincok-wholesale-cross-double-font-b-electric-b-font-arc-5-5-3-5-1-2CM.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Marcin H said:
So my friend was playing around with an electric lighter like the one below and he put the arc through the metal spirals on his notebook. The hole from the spirals was pointed towards his monitor and whenever he touched the arc of the lighter to the metal notebook rings the laptop monitor would glitch and flash, kinda like turning off for a quick second. Point the spiral hole away stopped this. What is going on here? Is there a magnetic field being created through the coils of the notebook rings and being shot out towards the monitor messing with the components inside or something? The notebook was also like 1-2 feet away from the monitor. Can a magnetic field reach that far? Is this even a magnetic field? What happened?

zincok-wholesale-cross-double-font-b-electric-b-font-arc-5-5-3-5-1-2CM.jpg
-
LOL. Keep it up and he could blow up his laptop. Yes, he is most likely generating mini-EMPs that are messing with the power supply in his laptop. That's a good way to cause an overvoltage that blows the motherboard.

Last edited:
Likes davenn and Marcin H
BTW, do not ask me how I know this... o0)

Likes Marcin H
berkeman said:
BTW, do not ask me how I know this... o0)
LOL

As described I don't believe the disturbance was a magnetic field, or rather not a magnetic field alone. I believe the spiral note book served as an antenna and you were broadcasting radio frequency EM noise. Hertz experiments were very similar, and early wireless communication was by similar spark gap generated broad band noise.

Likes Marcin H

1. How does an electric lighter create a magnetic field?

An electric lighter creates a magnetic field by using an electrical current to heat up a wire or coil, which then produces a magnetic field as a result of the flow of electricity. This magnetic field is used to create a spark that ignites the gas in the lighter.

2. Can a notebook be used to create a magnetic field?

Yes, a notebook can be used to create a magnetic field if it contains a magnet or if a magnet is placed near it. The magnetic field created by the notebook will depend on the strength and orientation of the magnet.

3. What is the purpose of creating a magnetic field using an electric lighter and notebook?

The purpose of creating a magnetic field using an electric lighter and notebook is to demonstrate the principles of electromagnetism and the relationship between electricity and magnetism. It can also be used for educational purposes and to create small-scale experiments.

4. How strong is the magnetic field created by an electric lighter and notebook?

The strength of the magnetic field created by an electric lighter and notebook will depend on the strength of the electrical current and the strength of the magnet. The magnetic field can be measured using a gaussmeter.

5. Is it safe to create a magnetic field using an electric lighter and notebook?

Yes, it is generally safe to create a magnetic field using an electric lighter and notebook as they do not produce a strong enough magnetic field to cause any harm. However, it is important to handle the lighter and notebook with caution and follow proper safety precautions when using them.