How to Create a Triangle with Given Dimensions and Angle?

• Thread starter electronic engineer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Triangle
In summary, to create a triangle with geometric methods, you need to use only a ruler and may be a circuler. You must tell us what you have tried and where you are stuck.
electronic engineer
how to create such a triangle in geometric way:

[AB]=5.5 cm, [AC]=3.7cm, ABC=100 (angle)

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Not sure I understand the question, but check out the Law of Sines and the Law of Cosines. One of those might work for you...

no , what it's required is that to create with geometric way so not using trigonometric laws, i need to get that triangle by using only ruler and may be circuler

I'm not sure what a circuler is, but if you can use a ruler, then you just have to think about how to construct the 100 degree angle using the ruler. Why would knowing the arctan(10 degrees) help in this?

electronic engineer said:

thanks
ee : You must tell us what you have tried and where you are stuck. Please read the guidelines for posting here.

Can you use both a protracter and a compass (or a compass that measures angles)?

yes,I can use them , you said both protractor and compass even though protractor itself is used to measure angles ... anyway to where are you going to get me?

thanks
Ok, I think I'll give you some hints to start off your problem:
First, given that AB = 5.5 cm
Can you construct the line segment AB?
From there, you know that: [tex]\widehat{ABC} = 100 ^ \circ[/tex]. Can you find two rays, of which every point makes with AB an angle of 100o? You also know that AC = 3.7 cm. How can you find C?
Can you go from here? :)

yes i know that , i tried to follow this way before you tell me about it, the problem is how to find C because [AC]=3.7cm and the angle more than 90 (100 c) makes that length of 3.7cm not achievable especially that [AC]<[AB]...that's why I'm asking here , of course i don't want to get the others solve my problem , I'm just asking for guidance.

many thanks for you all

Well, I just sketched the triangle, and BC is about 7-something long. The triangle looks fine. So the problem is not that such a triangle doesn't exist, right EE? The problem is how to construct it with a ruler, protractor and compass, right?

So draw line AB from the origin to the right 5.5cm long. Then mark a point 3.7cm to the right of the origin and on the segment AB. Strike an arc with your compass so that it makes a circle of radius 3.7cm centered on the origin. So now point C has to lie on that line somewhere (actually, two somewheres), right? Now your only problem is how to construct a 100 degree angle. That's why I asked early on about the arctan(10 degrees)...

Am I wrong to suggest that the question should have stated BC is 3.7 as opposed to AC is 3.7?...as VietDao suggests, draw two rays from B where the angle it makes with AB is 100 deg and you're going to have difficulties making AC

Last edited:
Don't you draw two rays from A? Although I guess I see what you mean, if "angle ABC" is supposted to have B as the common point of AB and BC. EE, are you sure it said "angle ABC = 100 degrees"? Or could it have meant angle CAB = 100 degrees?

yes i know that , i tried to follow this way before you tell me about it, the problem is how to find C because [AC]=3.7cm and the angle more than 90 (100 c) makes that length of 3.7cm not achievable especially that [AC]<[AB]...that's why I'm asking here , of course i don't want to get the others solve my problem , I'm just asking for guidance.

many thanks for you all
This is all you should have said in the beginning.

You are perfectly correct. The triangle with the given dimensions does not exist on a plane. There is an error in the question. Take it back to the teacher and ask them to correct it.

1. How do you create a specified triangle?

To create a specified triangle, you need to know the length of each side and the angles between them. This information can then be used to determine the type of triangle (e.g. equilateral, isosceles, scalene) and the exact measurements of all the angles.

2. What is the formula for finding the area of a specified triangle?

The formula for finding the area of a specified triangle is A = 1/2 * base * height, where the base is the length of one side and the height is the perpendicular distance from the base to the opposite vertex.

3. Can you create a specified triangle with only two sides and one angle given?

Yes, you can create a specified triangle with only two sides and one angle given. This is known as the SAS (Side-Angle-Side) triangle and it is determined by the law of cosines, which states that the square of one side is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides minus twice the product of the two sides and the cosine of the given angle.

4. What is the Pythagorean theorem and how is it related to specified triangles?

The Pythagorean theorem states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. This theorem is often used to find missing sides in specified triangles, as it relates the lengths of the sides to the angles of the triangle.

5. Is it possible to create a specified triangle with all three angles given?

Yes, it is possible to create a specified triangle with all three angles given. This is known as the AAA (Angle-Angle-Angle) triangle and it is determined by the law of sines, which states that the ratio of the length of each side to the sine of its opposite angle is equal for all three sides in a triangle.