Creative problem solving at 3 AM

In summary, the conversation discusses the connection between creativity and sleep habits. The speaker shares their personal experience of doing their best work after prolonged periods of fixation, little sleep, and excessive caffeine intake. They also mention that taking a break from work can help them refocus and generate new ideas. The conversation also touches on the book "Wide Awake at 3 AM", which explores the idea of shifted sleep cycles. The participants also mention that they often come up with solutions while in the shower or after getting a good night's sleep. They also discuss the difference between problem-solving and creative problem-solving, suggesting that uninterrupted continuity of thought is important for the latter. Finally, they joke about having too many things to think about in the shower.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Over the years I have noticed a pattern: I tend to do my best work after fixating on a problem for a very long time, and usually after getting far too little sleep and drinking way too much coffee. If I am well rested and working a sane schedule, I never seem to pop off with those OMG solutions. And my best ideas - the ones that have essentially made my career - came late into the night, and often in the wee hours of the morning.

During the month of December I took the first real break that I've had in years - for three weeks I barely even thought about work. It has taken just as long to get focused again. No matter how hard I tried, the ideas just weren't coming. Only now is the light beginning to shine again.

In a metaphorical sense, it is as if creativity has momentum and inertia.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There is a book - Wide Awake at 3 AM. I received a copy years ago when I bought a subscription of Scientific American.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0716717964/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Sometimes it works for me, although I think I do my best thinking in the shower, or sometimes during the weekend, or when walking, or when gardening, and sometimes after relaxing and drinking a few beers.

I often solve my problems in the shower - after a night of sleep, a clear mind and a chance to sneak up on a skittish problem from cover of tall grass.

Astronuc said:
There is a book - Wide Awake at 3 AM.

That sounds like a different twist. It refers to shifted sleep cycles. I'm talking about working 18 and 20-hour days.

DaveC426913 said:
I often solve my problems in the shower - after a night of sleep, a clear mind and a chance to sneak up on a skittish problem from cover of tall grass.

There is a difference between problem solving, and creative problem solving. If I'm working a pure math or engineering problem, I do better after getting sleep. However, for problems that require thinking outside the box, uninterrupted continuity of thought seems to be almost as important as, or more important than rest.

DaveC426913 said:

I have noticed I come up with solutions over a lot of things in the shower or drying myself afterwards.

My theory on this is that being awake for extended periods of time is incredibly boring so your mind will do anything to get to sleep even if that means solving all your problems.

StevieTNZ said:
I have noticed I come up with solutions over a lot of things in the shower or drying myself afterwards.
I don't have a lot of things in the shower - soaping up and rinsing down. How many things do you have in the shower? :biggrin:

1. What is creative problem solving at 3 AM?

Creative problem solving at 3 AM is the process of using innovative and unconventional methods to solve a problem that arises in the middle of the night. It requires thinking outside of the box and utilizing resources that may not be available during normal waking hours.

2. Why is creative problem solving at 3 AM important?

Creative problem solving at 3 AM can be important because it allows individuals to address urgent issues and find solutions in a timely manner, without having to wait until the next day. It can also help improve critical thinking skills and adaptability.

3. What are some common challenges people face when trying to solve problems at 3 AM?

Some common challenges people face when trying to solve problems at 3 AM include fatigue, lack of resources, and limited access to others for help or support. It can also be difficult to think creatively and come up with effective solutions when the brain is tired and not functioning at its best.

4. How can one improve their creative problem solving skills at 3 AM?

To improve creative problem solving skills at 3 AM, one can try to get enough rest during the day to avoid being too tired at night. It can also be helpful to practice brainstorming and coming up with unique solutions in everyday situations, so it becomes easier to do so at 3 AM.

5. Is there a limit to what can be solved creatively at 3 AM?

There is no limit to what can be solved creatively at 3 AM. However, it is important to consider safety and the potential consequences of making decisions in the middle of the night. It may also be necessary to seek help from others or revisit the problem during daylight hours for a more thorough and well thought out solution.