Credit System in American & UK Universities: Advantages & More

In summary, most American universities use a credit system in their studies. This system is also used in the UK universities.
no name
hey all
i heard that in most american universities ... they have the credit system in their studies ... is that true ... what is exactly this system ... what r the advantages of it ...?? is this system also applied in the uk universities ??
cheeeeeeeeerz

Physics news on Phys.org
The way it works at most schools is for every class you take you get a certain number of credit hours based on how many hours a week the class meets. You usually have a minimum and maximum you can take every year, and it's used in calculating your GPA. Some schools do it differently, but that's the standard.

We have a system of credits here too, but it doesn't sound like it's the same as in the US. Also, I'm not sure if all universities do it, but I expect they do. It probably works out different in different universities too. At my university for example, each year is worth 120 credits and each module contributes to some of those credits. So, modules that are worth more credits contribute more to your end of year mark (most of my modules this year are 10 credits, only 1 is 20). Again, not sure about other places, but where I am, you need 300 credits to get a BSc (bachelor of science) degree and 100 of those have to be obtained in your 3rd (last) year. So, you can afford to fail some stuff.

I think all of europe uses the same credit system. You get ECTS ("European credit transfer system" i think it stands for) points. In my school you get 7,5 ECTS points for each course, and there's 8 courses each year. It´s 180 credits for a bachelor.

You can propably get your credits given as ECTS points as well as your local system if you want, my school just uses the ECTS point for simplification purposes. And i´d be very surprised if there wasn´t some conversion system between ECTS and american credits since these are two widely used standards (assuming that credits received in American colleges are a standard).

Yeah, that's what ECTS stands for, I thought it was just for the Erasmus scheme though.

might be, i´m just a first years student so I'm no authority on this :) But like i said, my school shows all it's credits in ECTS, and I'm pretty sure it's just a general credit system, so if you decide to switch schools halfway through your studies, and go to another country, then there's a standardized system for all of europe so you can easily transfer your credits between schools.

Ahh ok, that makes sense so I'd assume you're right :smile:.

1. What is the credit system in American and UK universities?

The credit system is a way of measuring a student's academic progress in universities. It assigns a certain number of credits to each course, with each credit representing a specific amount of workload or learning hours. The total number of credits required for a degree varies by university and program.

2. What are the advantages of the credit system in American and UK universities?

The credit system allows for flexibility in course selection and completion. Students can choose the courses they want to take and the pace at which they want to complete them. It also allows for easier transfer of credits between universities, both domestically and internationally.

3. How does the credit system affect GPA calculation?

The credit system does not directly affect GPA calculation. However, the number of credits assigned to a course is often correlated with the number of credit hours, which may impact a student's workload and ability to maintain a high GPA.

4. Are there any drawbacks to the credit system in American and UK universities?

One potential drawback of the credit system is that it may not accurately reflect a student's academic ability or knowledge. This is because credits are often based on the amount of time spent on a course, rather than the mastery of the subject matter. Additionally, some students may feel pressured to take on a heavy course load in order to graduate in a timely manner, leading to increased stress and burnout.

5. How does the credit system differ between American and UK universities?

While both American and UK universities use the credit system, there are some differences. In the UK, credits are typically based on the number of hours spent in class, while in the US, credits are often based on a combination of in-class time and out-of-class work. Additionally, the credit value of a course may vary between universities in the US, while in the UK, credits are usually standardized across universities.