Crimp vs Compression: Which Hose Fitting is Best for Your Needs?

• Thread starter araanandv2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Compression
In summary, the conversation discussed the differences between crimp and compression crimp hose fittings, as well as the advantages and disadvantages of flare and flareless fittings. It was mentioned that flares act as their own gaskets and are easier to seal high-pressure joints, while compression fittings do not require special end treatment. The speaker also expressed a preference for 37 degree flared fittings due to their better leak prevention and lower cost, but noted that they require some skill to create a burr-free flare.
araanandv2
Hi,

Please explain ..

What is Crimp amd compression crimp hose fittings?
What are the advantages and disadvantages of flare and flareless fitting?When to go for flare and flareless fittings?

Thanks
Ana

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi.
I wasn't aware of a difference between 'crimp' and 'compression crimp', other than possibly the materials involved. My experience is limited to having had a couple of custom hoses made up at the local shop. The pressure rating might depend upon how the crimp is created.
Flares act as their own gaskets, so it's easier to seal a high-pressure joint with flared couplers (as evidenced by brake-line fittings). I can't see any disadvantage to using flares, other than the couple of seconds that it takes to create one. You'd have to be pretty desperate for that to dissuade you. The advantage to them over a regular fitting is that line pressure actually helps them to seal by forcing them into the receiver tighter. That isolates the joint itself from the pressure that might otherwise back out between the tube and the collar.

A compression fitting uses a ferrule that bites into the tube. The one big advantage is that there is no special end treatment required to prepare the tube. The installation is a permanent one because once the nut is locked down and the compression fitting sinched in, the ferrule will need to be cut off the tube. The installation is pretty easy to do, but a lot of people don't know the proper methodology. I personally have had leak issues using them in outdoor situations. Swagelok fittings are a very widely used brand of compression fittings and valves. Many places insist on using these fittings.

Personally, I prefer 37 degree flared fittings. I have had better luck with them in leak prevention, especially over long time periods and systems that fluctuate its pressure over wide range. The fittings are a bit less expensive as well. They do require a flaring tool and a bit of talent to make a burr free flare. Some tubing does not flare very well too. Therefore you need to know some special tricks to make them work well (like putting some oil on the flaring tool).

Thanks for the clarification, Fred. I've used compression fittings (on my engine oil gauge, for instance), but didn't know what they were called.

Related to Crimp vs Compression: Which Hose Fitting is Best for Your Needs?

1. What is crimping and compression crimping?

Crimping and compression crimping are two methods used to secure two materials together by creating a mechanical bond. This is often done with wires and connectors, but can also be used in other applications such as plumbing and jewelry making.

2. What is the difference between crimping and compression crimping?

The main difference between crimping and compression crimping is the method used to create the bond. Crimping involves using a tool to press or squeeze the connector onto the wire, creating a secure connection. Compression crimping involves using a specialized tool to compress the connector onto the wire, creating a tight, strong bond.

3. When should I use crimping versus compression crimping?

Crimping is typically used for smaller wires and less heavy-duty applications, while compression crimping is better for larger wires and more heavy-duty applications. Crimping is also more commonly used for temporary connections, while compression crimping is better for permanent connections.

4. What are the advantages of using crimping and compression crimping?

Crimping and compression crimping provide a secure and reliable connection between two materials. They also allow for a more streamlined and compact design, as compared to other methods such as soldering. Additionally, crimping and compression crimping are relatively easy and quick to perform, making them a popular choice for many applications.

5. Can I reuse crimped or compression crimped connections?

In general, crimped and compression crimped connections should not be reused. These methods rely on the compression of the connector onto the wire for a secure bond, and reusing them may weaken or damage the connection. It is recommended to create a new crimp or compression crimp for each connection to ensure safety and reliability.