Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Critical Damping in Multi-Modal Resonant System

1. Sep 26, 2009 #1
    Let's say I have a system with multiple oscillatory modes. Is it possible to have anything in this system that resembles critical damping?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2009 #2
    If you had two separate series resonant circuits in parallel, each resonant circuit could be separately critically damped. Give me some numbers and I will run a SPICE analysis.
    Bob S

4. Sep 26, 2009 #3
    If they are in parallel, would they still be coupled? I'm great with circuits. I'm picturing some kind of physics system like a chain of masses and springs.

5. Sep 27, 2009 #4
    Its an excellent question - supposing you had 2 masses coupled together in series by a spring and a damper - could you look for cases where the system has only one eigenvalue repeated 4 times ?

Even if you could get that situation, to be honest I'm not sure if it would even represent multimodal critical damping ...

Regards,
    Thrillhouse

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook