Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Critical Exponents for Quantum Phase Transitions

1. Sep 10, 2011 #1
    Hi All, I'm doing an undergraduate project regarding QPTs for some variation of a AF Heisenberg hamiltonian. I'm a little confused about the change in relations between the critical exponents for a QPT. Some books/papers state that the quantum system in D dimensions is mapped to a classical D + 1 dimension system at T = 0. Yet they also say that in the finite-size scaling laws, we have to change D to D + z, where z is the dynamic critical exponent. So does that mean that the universality class of the QPT is in Some D + z classical system, but beyond the critical parameter, it appears like some D + 1 classical system? Is there some kind of contradiction between these two statements, or am I missing something? I'm afraid I'm not entirely familiar with the subject so I kind of assume universality class and mapping to a new classical system are kind of the same thing. Would appreciate any help with thanks :)

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted