Critical mass for nuclear fusion

In summary: Yes, I have read about that.In summary, nuclear fusion does not require a minimum mass to occur (critical mass), which is instead a characteristic limit of fission. So you can make small fusion bombs as much as you want.
Methavix
Hello, can you please confirm this statement "Nuclear fusion does not require a minimum mass to occur (critical mass), which is instead a characteristic limit of fission. So you can make small fusion bombs as much as you want."?
Thanks!

Likes Aufbauwerk 2045
Engineering news on Phys.org
Thanks! In this case we are considering the ignition with a laser or relativistic electron beam, so is it true that we can have a micro-bomb according to you?

Methavix said:
we are considering the ignition with a laser or relativistic electron

Who is we? It sounds like you're working on a SF story, is that right?

In theory, the answer to that question is yes. But in practice nobody has come even close to making that succeed.
One idea for a fusion power plant was to implode fuel pellets the size of a grain of a sesame seed. It is still a dream, not reality.

Likes Methavix
Oh yes, I didn't mean that I'm working on this kind of fusion bomb :D I only meant that I am considering this system of ignition in the reasoning I am doing with other people.
Thanks for your help!

Methavix said:
So you can make small fusion bombs as much as you want
Have you read about Inertial Confinement Fusion with lasers? You should look at the size of the target spheres and read how much energy is released per shot. I don't know if that qualifies as your "bomb" or not. Also, I guess you need to include the size of the building housing the laser system in the "size" of the "bomb"... :smile:

https://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-cont...plifier_at_the_National_Ignition_Facility.jpg

640px-Preamplifier_at_the_National_Ignition_Facility.jpg

Attachments

• 640px-Preamplifier_at_the_National_Ignition_Facility.jpg
    640px-Preamplifier_at_the_National_Ignition_Facility.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 741
Likes Methavix and anorlunda
Thank you! Actually, I'm considering this kind of bombs for advanced space propulsion systems, not on the Earth. Anyway thanks for your suggestion.

For fusion reactions there has to be a sufficient quantity of very tightly confined plasma.
Not that much though, less than a gram will do the trick, IIRC

1. What is critical mass for nuclear fusion?

Critical mass for nuclear fusion refers to the minimum amount of a particular element or isotope required to sustain a self-sustaining nuclear reaction.

2. How is critical mass for nuclear fusion calculated?

The critical mass for nuclear fusion is calculated by considering various factors such as the type of fuel, the shape and size of the fuel, and the surrounding environment. It also takes into account the level of confinement needed to achieve fusion.

3. Why is critical mass important for nuclear fusion?

Critical mass is important for nuclear fusion because it is necessary to sustain a self-sustaining chain reaction. Without reaching critical mass, the fusion reaction would not continue and energy would not be produced.

4. What elements or isotopes are commonly used for nuclear fusion?

The most commonly used elements for nuclear fusion are deuterium (a form of hydrogen with one proton and one neutron) and tritium (a form of hydrogen with one proton and two neutrons). These elements are readily available and relatively easy to fuse together.

5. How is critical mass for nuclear fusion achieved?

Critical mass for nuclear fusion is achieved by using a combination of factors such as high temperatures, high pressures, and confinement in a controlled environment. This allows for the fusion reaction to occur and reach the necessary critical mass for sustained energy production.