1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cross-platform GUI

1. Dec 11, 2008 #1

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm thinking about writing a GUI program (a wrapper to multithread loops and automate tasks) and I was wondering if there was a way to do this in a compatible way across Windows and Linux. You see, I'm running XP at home now but I think I may convert to Xubuntu in the near future. Should I just resign myself to coding this twice, or is there a way to do what I want?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2008 #2
    Plenty of ways. wxWidgets, Qt, Tkinter, Gtk+, and so on. If Python is sufficient to act as a wrapper for your code, Tkinter would probably be the quickest way of doing things in a very portable manner (although it won't look beautiful).

4. Dec 11, 2008 #3
    In addition to shoehorn's suggestions, I would like to suggest Java and it's SWING interface.

5. Dec 11, 2008 #4

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'll look into Tkinter, thanks.

6. Dec 11, 2008 #5
    Qt is pretty easy to use and includes a crossplatform threading library, unfortunately you must either GPL your code or pay for a development license.

7. Dec 17, 2008 #6

zyh

WxWidgets allow you to use it for both GPL and commercial usage for free.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?