Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cross-platform GUI

1. Dec 11, 2008 #1

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm thinking about writing a GUI program (a wrapper to multithread loops and automate tasks) and I was wondering if there was a way to do this in a compatible way across Windows and Linux. You see, I'm running XP at home now but I think I may convert to Xubuntu in the near future. Should I just resign myself to coding this twice, or is there a way to do what I want?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2008 #2
    Plenty of ways. wxWidgets, Qt, Tkinter, Gtk+, and so on. If Python is sufficient to act as a wrapper for your code, Tkinter would probably be the quickest way of doing things in a very portable manner (although it won't look beautiful).

4. Dec 11, 2008 #3
    In addition to shoehorn's suggestions, I would like to suggest Java and it's SWING interface.

5. Dec 11, 2008 #4

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'll look into Tkinter, thanks.

6. Dec 11, 2008 #5
    Qt is pretty easy to use and includes a crossplatform threading library, unfortunately you must either GPL your code or pay for a development license.

7. Dec 17, 2008 #6

zyh

WxWidgets allow you to use it for both GPL and commercial usage for free.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?