Which Degree Should I Choose: Math or Computer Science?

In summary, the conversation is about choosing a major between computer science and computer engineering, with the consideration of potential income. The person is torn between their love for math and computers and their desire for a comfortable lifestyle. The other person reassures them that there is no significant difference in income between the two fields and suggests doing a forum search for more information. They also mention the possibility of getting dual degrees and advise not to worry too much about money as starting salaries are typically high.
Danisa_B
Who makes more money:bugeye:, because i love math and computers, but i am having a tough decision to choose which one i want to major in:confused:. I mean its not about the money but hey i want to live comfortable:biggrin:. And i love technology. :!)

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think there's any noteworthy difference in incomes between CS and CE. You stand to make more money in whichever field you find you can best apply yourself in.

Feel free to do a forum search regarding this topic. I asked the same questions several weeks ago and received good answers. From the answers I got I concluded neither offers a significant advantage. You can probably get dual degrees if you wish. Both majors have huge overlap.

As far as money goes, I'd recommend not worrying about it. Starting salary with either degree won't be below $45k/yr I'd assume. Check out a few job search websites to get a better idea of what companies are offering for "X set of requirements." Hope this helps. Have fun!

Jordan Joab.

What is the difference between a Math degree and a Computer Science degree?

A Math degree focuses on the study of mathematical concepts, theories, and principles, while a Computer Science degree focuses on the design, development, and implementation of computer systems and software.

Which degree has better career prospects?

Both Math and Computer Science degrees have excellent career prospects, but it ultimately depends on the individual's interests and skills. Math majors may find success in fields such as finance, data analysis, and cryptography, while Computer Science majors may find opportunities in software development, artificial intelligence, and cybersecurity.

Which degree is more challenging?

Both Math and Computer Science degrees can be challenging, but again, it depends on the individual's strengths and interests. Math courses may involve more theoretical and abstract concepts, while Computer Science courses may require strong problem-solving and programming skills.

Can I pursue a double major in both Math and Computer Science?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a double major in both Math and Computer Science. However, it may require a heavy course load and careful planning to complete both degrees in a reasonable amount of time.

Which degree should I choose if I am interested in the intersection of Math and Computer Science?

If you are interested in the intersection of Math and Computer Science, you may want to consider a degree in Applied Mathematics or a degree in Computer Science with a focus on mathematical applications. These degrees combine the principles of both fields and can lead to careers in areas such as data science, machine learning, and cryptography.