• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Courses CSE at the age of 21

• Thread starter rahaverhma
  • Start date
Hi, I am from India. I will be getting my honors for Bachelor's degree for physics in a few days. I am 21. As members at this forum are from USA too, so I want to know if I take exams like GRE, IELTS, TOEFL and get admission in USA, just suppose. Then, in any way, would I be able to be the same as in the status of a btech student in computer science engineering after arriving in USA? And how much years would it take to study?
I am mad about computers.

Last edited by a moderator:
You would be a student with a physics background taking computer science courses, I imagine. I think you could self study some programming such as computer simulation and graphics to prepare. These courses would use your strengths in physics and math while you’d be learning the necessary computer science concepts.

I was a Physics BS who went into MS CompSci in the 1980’s. My math skills helped me with computer graphics and computer design the most. Other CS courses are more compsci oriented and my job as a programmer at the time helped me there.

You would be a student with a physics background taking computer science courses, I imagine.
No, sir. I want to be like Alan turing. Physics and mathematics (which already I am with) and computers. It is because I am self-motivated in computers too. I mean, a computer engineer, too.

Employers look at degrees, prior job history and then skills so that what you self study is nice but you defined by your degrees mostly.

CrysPhys

Education Advisor
No, sir. I want to be like Alan turing. Physics and mathematics (which already I am with) and computers. It is because I am self-motivated in computers too. I mean, a computer engineer, too.
What you want to be and what you are are two different things. What you are is a person with a bachelor's in physics who is "mad about computers".

CrysPhys

Education Advisor
Hi, I am from India. I will be getting my honors for Bachelor's degree for physics in a few days. I am 21. As members at this forum are from USA too, so I want to know if I take exams like GRE, IELTS, TOEFL and get admission in USA, just suppose. Then, in any way, would I be able to be the same as in the status of a btech student in computer science engineering after arriving in USA? And how much years would it take to study?
I am mad about computers.
<<Emphasis added.>> OK, your degree and these exams can demonstrate your proficiency level in physics (degree and physics GRE); math (math GRE); verbal reasoning, quantitative reasoning, critical thinking, and analytical writing skills (general GRE); and English language (IELTS and TOEFL). What demonstrates your proficiency level in computer science and computer engineering?