Cube Matrices

• Thread starter Vorde
  • Start date
I just had my last Linear Algebra class, and I didn't get a chance to ask the one question that has been bugging me ever since we started in earnest with matrices.

Why aren't there cube matrices? I mean, mathematical entities where numbers are 'laid out' in 3d not in 2d (not quite mathematically rigorous, but you get the idea). Obviously one could do this with successive matrices, but I wonder if more is to be gained by studying this object as a whole.

Is this a thing? Is there an obvious reason I'm missing as to why there is nothing to gain by doing this?

Answers and Replies

pbuk
Science Advisor
Gold Member
There are, and they certainly are useful; physics wouldn't have got much beyond Newton without them. Google "tensors".

Huh, you know I've known about tensors for a while but in a purely pop-science way (the only actual tensors I've been exposed to were in a five-minute digression by my teacher briefly explaining them), I hadn't ever been told to think of them that way!

pbuk
Science Advisor
Gold Member
That's a shame, although you have actually been exposed to tensors for some time. Ordinary numbers (scalars), vectors and matrices are just special cases of tensors with 0, 1 and 2 dimensions respectively.