Cube Question In Space Geometry

In summary, the conversation revolved around a question about the shape of a shadow behind a cube when the sunbeams are directed almost perpendicular to the ground. The question asked for the position of the sun and the cube in which the shadow would be a square of 1 by 1, and for a situation in which the shadow would be a square with edges of length "root of 2" (approx. 1.4). Possible solutions were discussed and the person who posed the question asked for confirmation or correction.
xenogizmo
Hey everyone,
I came across this rather "uncoventional" space geometry question, from a dutch book. I have answers in mind but I want to check with you guys..
Check the attached picture for the cube..
The question goes like this:

This photograph of a cube was taken on a tropical island, so the sunbeams are directed almost perpendicular to the groud.

>In the pciture only part of the shadow is visible. What will the shadow look like "behind" the cube?

By changing the position of the cube or the sun, you can find different shapes of shadow. Assume the edge of the cube has length 1

>At which positions of sun and cube the shadow will be a square of 1 by 1?
>Describe a situation in which the shadow is a square with edges of length "root of 2" (approx. 1.4)

Now, I'll put my answers in the next post so that u can take your shot at the question first.

Thanks,
Xeno

Attachments

• sample.cube.JPG
    sample.cube.JPG
    7.8 KB · Views: 464
Mathematics news on Phys.org
My Attempt..

Question 1: The shadow is a hexagon

Question 2: For the shadow to be 1x1, the sunbeams must be perpindular to one of the cube's faces

Question 3: The edge 1 was given for a reason I guess, (pardon me here, I'm not so familiar with the english terms) but I remember from back in school that if the edge length x then if we take a base of the cube, and draw a diagonal line from one edge to another, its length would be x by the root of 2 (I'm sure that line has a name, just don't know it)

So I guess the sunbeams must be perpindicular to one of hte edges of the cube, the one I marked with red in the picture attached to this post.

Tell if I'm right, and correct me if I'm wrong.
Thx

Attachments

• sample.cube2.JPG
    sample.cube2.JPG
    9.5 KB · Views: 420
No ideas yet?? :uhh:

1. What is a "Cube Question" in space geometry?

A "Cube Question" in space geometry is a type of problem or puzzle that involves a cube and its properties, such as surface area, volume, and angles. These questions often require the use of spatial reasoning and visualization skills to solve.

2. How is a cube different from other geometric shapes?

A cube is a three-dimensional shape with six square faces, all of equal size. This is different from other geometric shapes, such as spheres, cylinders, or pyramids, which have curved or angled faces.

3. What are the formulas for finding the surface area and volume of a cube?

The surface area of a cube can be found by multiplying the length of one side by itself, and then multiplying that number by 6 (since there are 6 faces on a cube). The formula is 6s², where s represents the length of one side. The volume of a cube can be found by multiplying the length of one side by itself three times, or s³.

4. How can understanding cubes in space geometry be useful?

Understanding cubes and their properties in space geometry can be useful in many fields, such as architecture, engineering, and physics. It can also help with spatial reasoning and problem-solving skills.

5. What is the importance of cubes in math and geometry?

Cubes are important in math and geometry because they are one of the most basic three-dimensional shapes, and many other shapes and objects can be built or derived from cubes. Understanding cubes also helps with understanding concepts such as volume, surface area, and spatial relationships.