1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cube roots

1. Oct 27, 2007 #1
    trying to figure this out, but am confused on the steps please help thank you

The volume of a cube is given by V = s3, where s is the length of a side. Find the length of a side of a cube if the volume is 800 cm3. Round the answer to three decimal places.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2007 #2
    You already know the volume that you want (800cm^3). And you have an equation for the volume and the unknown(the unknown being s). Can you show me the equation you have for "s" in terms of "V" ?
  4. Oct 27, 2007 #3
    i was no given one, i think my teacher is a moron
  5. Oct 27, 2007 #4
    It looks like you were given one. You said in your opening post that the volume "V" is equal to 3 times "s," so you have V = 3s. Can you tell me what s equals in terms of "V"?
  6. Oct 27, 2007 #5
    It's the volume of a cube with side length s, I believe that s3 was meant to be s3.
  7. Oct 27, 2007 #6
    Ah, you're correct. My mistake.

Well, for poohbears sake, I'll give an example of what your teacher is looking for.

If I have[tex] y = x^{4} [/tex] , then I can put x in terms of y by multiplying both x and y to the [tex] \frac{1}{4} [/tex] power:

[tex] y^{\frac{1}{4}} = x^{4*\frac{1}{4}}= x[/tex]

Now I have x in terms of y. Just multiply both sides of your equation by a similar power to get s in terms of the volume. Sorry for any confusion.
  8. Oct 27, 2007 #7
    can you use numbers its easier to see what you mean

9. Oct 27, 2007 #8
    Sure, we can do that. If I say [tex] 16 = x^{4} [/tex], then I want to multiply both sides of the equation by the one-fourth power:

[tex]16^{\frac{1}{4}} = x^{4*\frac{1}{4}}= x[/tex]

Then just plug 16 to the 1/4 power into your calculator to find that x = 2.
  10. Oct 27, 2007 #9
    still not understanding both sides of my equation are gooing to have cubed numbers
  11. Oct 27, 2007 #10
    You have [tex] V = s^{3} [/tex]. What power must you multiply both sides by to get s in terms of V? If you multiply[tex] s^{3} [/tex] by a certain power, you'll get s all by itself. Follow the reasoning in the example above.
  12. Oct 27, 2007 #11
    so if i multiply both sides by 1/3 i should get what i'm looking for
  13. Oct 27, 2007 #12
    Not by 1/3, but to the 1/3 power. Notice in the example above that we're multiplying both sides by a power. Here's one more to try:

If I have [tex] 81 = x^{4}[/tex] , I want to multiply each side by the 1/4 power to find x:

[tex] 81^{\frac{1}{4}} = x^{4*\frac{1}{4}} = x[/tex]

When you plug in 81 to the one-fourth power, that is 81^(1/4), you should find that x = 3.Try the examples above on your calculator so you're comforable with the concept.
  14. Oct 27, 2007 #13
    thanks alot i finally understand what i'm looking at, i appreciate the help
  15. Oct 27, 2007 #14
    No problem :) Keep up the good work.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?