Cubic asymptotes in rational functions?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of curvilinear asymptotes in rational functions, specifically if it is possible to have a cubic asymptote. The definition of a quadratic asymptote is also mentioned and it is clarified that asymptotes do not always have to be straight lines. The conversation also touches on the idea of any degree asymptotes and provides an example of a cubic asymptote. The importance of understanding definitions in solving problems is emphasized.
jann95
I just got this assignment for math and the question was is it possible to have a cubic asymptote in a rational function. If so explain how and where.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
jann95 said:
I just got this assignment for math and the question was is it possible to have a cubic asymptote in a rational function. If so explain how and where.

What is a "cubic" asymptote?

im not really sure, but we have to figure it out. Its like vertical, horizontal and oblique asymptotes in rational function. I have to figure out if there could be a cubic asymptote. I know that there could be a quadratic asymptote, but I am not sure about cubic.

Then, what is a "quadratic" asymptote? Those terms is unfamiliar to me regarding asymptotes.

A quadratic asymptote is an asymptote on a rational function which looks like a parabola. So if you are graphing a rational function with a quadratic asymptote is doesn't pass through. Just like the oblique, vertical and horizontal asymptotes.

jann95 said:
A quadratic asymptote is an asymptote on a rational function which looks like a parabola. So if you are graphing a rational function with a quadratic asymptote is doesn't pass through. Just like the oblique, vertical and horizontal asymptotes.

Asymptotes don't "look like parabolas". They are straight lines. And I am certain your text doesn't define a quadratic asymptote as one that "looks like a parabola". Tell me, word for word, what your text definition of a quadratic asymptote is. How can you hope to solve a problem if you don't know the definitions?

For example 2x^3/x-1, when you divide 2x^3 by x-1 you will get a quadratic function, when you graph that function, that will be the quadratic asymptote.

I found an example of a cubic asymptote on http://www.webgraphing.com/graphing_basic.jsp
The rational function was f(x)= (2x^4)/(x-1).
Now I am curious if you can have asymptotes of any degree...

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't run across this term (cubic asymptote) before, but I would guess that it means that for large |x|, the graph approaches that of some cubic polynomial.

Mark44 said:
I haven't run across this term (cubic asymptote) before, but I would guess that it means that for large |x|, the graph approaches that of some cubic polynomial.

Yes, that is the obvious guess, and similarly for a "quadratic" asymptote. But it annoys me when posters won't look up definitions in their own texts and instead abandon the thread as jann95 has apparently done.

LCKurtz said:
Asymptotes don't "look like parabolas". They are straight lines. And I am certain your text doesn't define a quadratic asymptote as one that "looks like a parabola". Tell me, word for word, what your text definition of a quadratic asymptote is. How can you hope to solve a problem if you don't know the definitions?
No, and asymptote does NOT have to be a straight line. Any curve can be an asymptote to a graph. The only requirement is that the graph, as x-> a, must get arbitrarily close to the curve without reaching it.

HallsofIvy said:
No, and asymptote does NOT have to be a straight line. Any curve can be an asymptote to a graph. The only requirement is that the graph, as x-> a, must get arbitrarily close to the curve without reaching it.

To quote from Wikipedia which, as we all know, is the ultimate source of correctness in mathematics :uhh::

"More generally, one curve is a curvilinear asymptote of another (as opposed to a linear asymptote) if the distance between the two curves tends to zero as they tend to infinity, although usually the term asymptote by itself is reserved for linear asymptotes."

What are cubic asymptotes in rational functions?

Cubic asymptotes are vertical lines that a rational function approaches as the input variable approaches infinity or negative infinity. They are also known as vertical asymptotes and are typically represented by the equation x = a, where a is a constant.

How do you find the cubic asymptotes of a rational function?

To find the cubic asymptotes of a rational function, you can use the following steps:

1. Factor both the numerator and denominator of the rational function.
  2. Cancel out any common factors between the numerator and denominator.
  3. Identify the highest power of x in the denominator.
  4. The equation of the cubic asymptote will be x = the coefficient of the highest power of x in the denominator.

When do rational functions have cubic asymptotes?

Rational functions have cubic asymptotes when the degree of the denominator is exactly three more than the degree of the numerator. This means that the highest power of x in the denominator is one degree higher than the highest power of x in the numerator.

Can a rational function have more than one cubic asymptote?

Yes, it is possible for a rational function to have more than one cubic asymptote. This occurs when the degree of the numerator is less than the degree of the denominator, and there are multiple terms with the same highest power of x in the denominator.

How do cubic asymptotes affect the graph of a rational function?

Cubic asymptotes do not intersect or touch the graph of a rational function, but they do affect its behavior. As the input variable approaches infinity or negative infinity, the function will get closer and closer to the cubic asymptote, but will never actually reach it. The presence of a cubic asymptote also creates a break in the graph of the rational function at the point of the vertical line.