Cubic equations with independent variables

In summary, the conversation is about solving a cubic equation with variables dependent on x and t, except for En, Ep, N, and h which are constants. The person seeking help has experience solving equations with one variable, but is struggling with the added complexity of a variable dependent on two variables. They have also been advised to rewrite the equation in a more understandable form and to use an algorithm for finding the roots of a cubic equation. They are also asked for more information about the function p(x).
omarxx84
Hi colleages. can you help me to solve the cubic equation below:
2N(Ep-En)hp^3(x)-3[M(x,t)(Ep-En)-2NEnh]hp^2(x)-6Enh[M(x,t)+Nh]hp(x)+Enh^2[3M(x,t)+2Nh]=0 notice that all variables in the equation are dependent on x only, except M is dependent on x and t.
En, Ep, N and h are constants.
i know the solution when the equation dependent on one variable, but the problem is that M dependent on two variables x and t.
please help me and i will be very grateful for you...

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
i am so sorry,

There is an algorithm for finding the roots of a cubic equation - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cubic_equation. Using this algorithm might help you solve for the values of p(x) that are roots of your equation.

You haven't said anything about p(x). What information do you have about this function?

Hello,

Thank you for your question. Solving cubic equations with independent variables can be a challenging task, but I will do my best to help you.

First, let's rewrite the given equation in a more simplified form:

2N(Ep-En)hp^3(x) - 3[M(x,t)(Ep-En) - 2NEnh]hp^2(x) - 6Enh[M(x,t)+Nh]hp(x) + Enh^2[3M(x,t)+2Nh] = 0

Let's define a new variable, let's say y = M(x,t). This way, we can rewrite the equation as:

2N(Ep-En)hp^3(x) - 3[y(Ep-En) - 2NEnh]hp^2(x) - 6Enh[y + Nh]hp(x) + Enh^2[3y+2Nh] = 0

Now, we have a cubic equation in terms of one variable, x. We can use any method of solving cubic equations to find the solutions. One method is to use the Rational Root Theorem to find possible rational roots, and then use synthetic division to check which of those roots are actual solutions.

However, since y = M(x,t) is still a variable, we cannot find a specific solution for x and t. We can only find a general solution in terms of y.

I hope this helps. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask. Good luck!

1. What is a cubic equation with independent variables?

A cubic equation with independent variables is a polynomial equation in which the highest degree term is a third-degree term. It contains one or more independent variables, and the equation is solved by finding the values of the variables that make the equation true.

2. What is the general form of a cubic equation with independent variables?

The general form of a cubic equation with independent variables is ax^3 + bx^2 + cx + d = 0, where a, b, c, and d are coefficients and x is the independent variable. The highest degree term is x^3, and the equation can have multiple terms with different degrees.

3. How are cubic equations with independent variables solved?

Cubic equations with independent variables can be solved using various methods, such as factoring, the rational root theorem, or the cubic formula. Depending on the specific equation, one method may be more efficient than others.

4. What are the possible number of solutions for a cubic equation with independent variables?

A cubic equation with independent variables can have up to three solutions, depending on the complexity of the equation. However, some equations may have fewer or no real solutions.

5. What is the significance of cubic equations with independent variables in scientific research?

Cubic equations with independent variables are commonly used in scientific research to model and analyze complex phenomena, such as chemical reactions, population growth, and physical processes. They provide a mathematical framework for understanding and predicting real-world systems.