1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Curious - question about a pressure vessel and tempreature

1. Dec 30, 2012 #1
    I have no intention of designing, building or experimenting with this, so no worries about safety. I'm just curious and did a Google search for Physics Forums and this was the first to come up.

I was wondering, when pressure decreases so does temperature, right? So, were we to have a pop (soda for you heathens :D ) can, how much pressure would it have to have on the inside so that when the pressure was released, it would cool it down to around 40 degrees? Insta-cool beverages! Assume it's already at room temperature (70 degrees) and normal outside pressure (1atm).

I'm not really concerned with feasibility or practicality - just curious about the factuality of what would be required.

I did do a search already but the only thread that asked this kind of question was closed.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 30, 2012 #2

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

4. Dec 30, 2012 #3
    Oh wow, that means a LOT of pressure will be needed.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook