Current at Extreme Frequencies

In summary, the skin effect can contribute to a higher resistance and impedance in a wire at higher frequencies, but it does not completely stop the flow of current. It is a progressive effect, not a sudden stop.
gvlr96
A work colleague of mine told me that if you have an AC voltage across a wire and the frequency is high enough, there would not be any current, because electrons don't have time to move from one atom from another. Is there any truth behind this?

Engineering news on Phys.org
gvlr96 said:
A work colleague of mine told me that if you have an AC voltage across a wire and the frequency is high enough, there would not be any current, because electrons don't have time to move from one atom from another. Is there any truth behind this?
Not really. Current doesn't flow because of electrons "moving from atom to atom" -- they are moving in the conduction band of the metal. It is true that the "resistance" of the wire is higher at higher frequencies because of the skin effect, and the impedance of the wire is higher at higher frequencies because of inductance.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skin_effect

berkeman said:
Not really. Current doesn't flow because of electrons "moving from atom to atom" -- they are moving in the conduction band of the metal. It is true that the "resistance" of the wire is higher at higher frequencies because of the skin effect, and the impedance of the wire is higher at higher frequencies because of inductance.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skin_effect
I am aware of the skin effect, but I wasn't really thinking about it at the time. Would the skin effect be able to cause the same stop in current at high frequency?

gvlr96 said:
I am aware of the skin effect, but I wasn't really thinking about it at the time. Would the skin effect be able to cause the same stop in current at high frequency?
Did you get a chance to read through the wikipedia page that I linked to? It's a progressive effect, not a step function...

Related to Current at Extreme Frequencies

1. What is "Current at Extreme Frequencies"?

"Current at Extreme Frequencies" refers to the flow of electric charge through a circuit or material at extremely high or low frequencies, typically in the gigahertz (GHz) or terahertz (THz) range. This type of current is commonly used in high-speed electronics and wireless communication technologies.

2. How is "Current at Extreme Frequencies" different from regular current?

Regular current, also known as direct current (DC), has a constant flow of charge in one direction. "Current at Extreme Frequencies" is alternating current (AC) that rapidly changes direction at a high frequency, allowing for the transmission of information and energy at a much faster rate.

3. What are some applications of "Current at Extreme Frequencies"?

"Current at Extreme Frequencies" has a wide range of applications, including in wireless communication systems such as cell phones, radar and satellite communication, high-speed data transfer, medical imaging technology, and high-frequency heating in industrial processes.

4. How is "Current at Extreme Frequencies" generated?

There are various methods for generating "Current at Extreme Frequencies". One common method is through the use of electronic oscillators, which produce a continuous stream of alternating current at a specific frequency. Other methods include using specialized antennas or amplifiers to generate and manipulate high-frequency signals.

5. What are the potential risks associated with "Current at Extreme Frequencies"?

Exposure to "Current at Extreme Frequencies" can potentially have harmful effects on human health, such as tissue heating and damage, particularly at very high frequencies. It is important to follow safety guidelines and limit exposure to these frequencies to prevent potential health risks.