Current in a (series) circuit with a capacitor

In summary, capacitors can be used in parallel and series circuits, but current cannot flow through them when there is an insulating material or vacuum between the plates.
broegger
I've just been reading about capacitors and I have some (stupid?) questions... First, how can there be a current in a (series) circuit with a capacitor when there is an insulating material or vacuum between the plates (or whatever makes up the capacitor)?? i don't get it.. Second (pretty much the same as the first), how can you apply Kirchoff's closed loop law to a circuit in which there is a capacitor - it isn't closed when there can be no current through the insulator or vacuum in the capacitor??

Physics news on Phys.org
Alternating current can flow through a capacitor (but direct current cannot). Consider that in an alternating current, the electrons don't actually flow all the way around the circuit -- they basically just wiggle back and forth in place. The capacitor couples its plates together through the electric field, which is exactly what causes electrons to move through wires.

- Warren

but in my physics book they discuss these things before even introducing alternating current.. in fact, i think it's in a chapter called Direct Current Circuits..

Well, capacitors do not conduct DC. So I don't know what to tell you.

- Warren

So, you're saying that capacitors can't be used in (seriel) dc circuit?

No, I'm not saying they can't be "used." There are many ways a capacitor could be used in a series DC circuit -- but conducting current is not one of them.

- Warren

I've posted this in the other thread - there is current flow sufficient to charge/discharge the capacitor.

The current flow into a uncharged cap is like

[tex] i(t)= i_0 e^{-kt}[/tex]

where the k is determined by the capacitor.

condom capacator analogy

The mechanical analogy of a capacator, is a water pipe with a condom traped in it. If water tries to flow in one direction (DC), the condom will streach until it stops the flow of water. If the water oscilates back and forth in the pipe (AC), the condom stretchs back and forth, representing little or no effect on the oscilating water.

All the best
john

Ironically, a capacitor kind of violates KCL, at least significantly more so than the other two passive elements. Charge builds up on the plates. To apply KCL, you have to "draw a black box" around the capacitor and treat it as an isotropic 2-port device. The same can be done with the other two passives. You can still apply KCL and KVL outside the elements, but, instead of Ohm's law, you have to realize that capacitors are reactive and a differential equation or Laplace transform must be used.

1. What is a capacitor and how does it affect current in a series circuit?

A capacitor is an electronic component that stores electrical energy in the form of an electric field. In a series circuit, a capacitor blocks direct current (DC) from flowing while allowing alternating current (AC) to pass. This means that the capacitor affects the flow of current in a series circuit by allowing it to pass through intermittently.

2. How is current affected by the capacitance value of a capacitor in a series circuit?

The capacitance value of a capacitor in a series circuit determines how much charge it can store and how quickly it can charge and discharge. As the capacitance value increases, the current in the circuit decreases because the capacitor can store more charge and block more of the current.

3. What happens to the current in a series circuit when a capacitor is fully charged?

When a capacitor is fully charged, it blocks all current from flowing in the circuit. This is because there is no potential difference across the capacitor, so no current can flow through it. The capacitor acts as an open circuit and no more charge can be stored in it.

4. How does the presence of a capacitor affect the voltage in a series circuit?

In a series circuit, the voltage across each component is equal to the total voltage of the circuit. However, when a capacitor is present, the voltage across it can vary depending on its charge. When the capacitor is charging, the voltage across it increases, and when it is discharging, the voltage decreases. Overall, the presence of a capacitor can cause fluctuations in the voltage of a series circuit.

5. Why is the current in a series circuit with a capacitor not constant?

The current in a series circuit with a capacitor is not constant because the capacitor blocks DC while allowing AC to pass. This means that the current is only able to flow intermittently, depending on the charge and discharge of the capacitor. As a result, the current in the circuit will vary over time and will not remain constant.