Current passing through a loop

In summary, the conversation discussed finding the radius of a single wire loop when a current of 5 A produces a magnetic field of 3.4 x 10^-3 T at the center. The equation used was B = μNi / 2r with μ representing the permeability of the substance, typically air. The final calculation resulted in a radius of approximately 0.00092 m.
AdsBerger

Homework Statement

A current of 5 A is passed through a single wire loop, producing a magnetic field of 3.4 x 10^-3 T at the center. What is the radius of the loop?

Homework Equations

B = μNi / 2r

The Attempt at a Solution

B = 3.4 x 10^-3
N = 1
i = 5

B = μNi / 2r
3.4 x 10^-3 = (__)(1loop)(5 A) / 2r

what is this u variable ? what does it represent

Physics news on Phys.org
it's the greek letter, mu, and it's the permeability of the substance with respect to the magnetic field. Often, your substance is air, which can be (very accurately) approximated by the vacuum permeability.

Try googling "magnetic constant" ;)

i found a value for it.. 4∏ x10^-7
but the rest of the question goes like this then
= (3.14x10^-6)/2r
= 1.57 x 10^-6/r

3.4 x 10^-3 = 1.57 x 10^-6/r

1.57 x 10^-6 = 3.4 x 10^-3 r
4.62x10^-4 = r

0.0004617647059 m

this doesn't seem right

Your first line (with =) looks wrong 3.14x10^-6?

redid the first line got the new answer of 6.28x10^-6 not sure of my miscaculation. this resulted in the new answer of .924m seems more plausible.

i actually tried using that but not to sure on all of its function, as soon as i enter 5 A it calculates everything

you have to enter I and R and it will give you B. Don't need to worry about z, since you're doing center of loop.

i entered my .9m and 5 A to get a B of 0.000003399992 what does this tell me ?

let's assume hyperphysics is right, first. What does that tell you?

well that somewhere in my calculations i am wrong. redid it to get 9.2x10^-4 which when plugged into the site is correct

congrats :)

What is current passing through a loop?

Current passing through a loop refers to the flow of electric charge through a circuit, specifically through a loop or coil of wire.

How is current measured in a loop?

Current is measured in a loop using an ammeter, which is a device that measures the amount of electric current flowing through a circuit.

What factors affect the current passing through a loop?

The current passing through a loop can be affected by the voltage of the power source, the resistance of the circuit, and the number of turns in the loop.

What is the relationship between current and voltage in a loop?

According to Ohm's Law, the current passing through a loop is directly proportional to the voltage and inversely proportional to the resistance of the circuit.

What is the difference between AC and DC current passing through a loop?

AC (alternating current) passes through a loop in a back-and-forth motion, while DC (direct current) flows in one direction. AC is commonly used in household appliances, while DC is used in batteries and electronic devices.