How can I design an I/V Converter for a wide range of input currents?

In summary, a user is seeking guidance on designing a current to voltage converter using an op amp to convert a range of 40 micro amps to a suitable voltage. They have been instructed to use a T network with 3 resistors on the feedback, but are uncertain of the suitable voltage and component values. They have provided a circuit diagram and have received advice to use a transimpedance amp with a feedback resistor of 125K, as well as a suggestion to use a J-FET input op amp. The user's teacher has also been invited to join the discussion. There is also mention of offset current effects and the desired specifications for the converter.
hami1992
hello everyone

I am facing a problem in designing a current to voltage converter using op amp I have to convert the current in the range of 40 micro amps to a suitable voltage using a T network having 3 resistors on the feedback. Please guide me what component values I have to use and which op amp I should use.

Please reply urgent I would be very greatful

Thanks to all

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    7.1 KB · Views: 575
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
1. What is a suitable voltage?
2. Why do you have to use a T network having 3 resistors on the feedback?

Well I also did not want to use three resistors on the feedback but my teacher said that you must use such a circuit , well I also don't have the idea that what should be the suitable voltage which I should get but I have to further use that voltage for working on LabView

I have now attached the figure of my circuit which I have been trying to use for current to voltage conversion, please have a look at it and let me know what i can do?

Thanks

Is this homework?

What are the factors that determine what a suitable voltage is?

Well you can say that I need a voltage in the range of 1 to 5 volts

Can you explain the parameters you have specified for your current source? 40m sin(1,40,20k,0,0)

What you want is called "Transimpedance" amp. Your teacher is wrong. You do not need three resistors to do this.

To find the feed back resistor to transform 40uA to 5V full scale is:

[tex]R=\frac V I = \frac 5 {40\times 10^-6} =125K[/tex]

This is a very small resistor. You should be able to do it with even some basic op-amp. If you want to feel good about it, you can use a J-FET input op amp.

If you teacher disagree, tell him to join in this thread and I'll convince him. I design transimpedance to transform sub pico amps using feedback resistor greater than 10 giga ohm. That is not even uncommon. There is big disadvantage using 3 resistor network like your teacher want. You amplify the noise much much more and you increase the offset error. This is all well documented. There are very very good reason people don't do 3 resistors.

Have your teacher join in.

yungman said:
What you want is called "Transimpedance" amp. Your teacher is wrong. You do not need three resistors to do this.

To find the feed back resistor to transform 40uA to 5V full scale is:

[tex]R=\frac V I = \frac 5 {40\times 10^-6} =125K[/tex]

This is a very small resistor. You should be able to do it with even some basic op-amp. If you want to feel good about it, you can use a J-FET input op amp.

If you teacher disagree, tell him to join in this thread and I'll convince him. I design transimpedance to transform sub pico amps using feedback resistor greater than 10 giga ohm. That is not even uncommon. There is big disadvantage using 3 resistor network like your teacher want. You amplify the noise much much more and you increase the offset error. This is all well documented. There are very very good reason people don't do 3 resistors.

Have your teacher join in.

Except for offset current effects. Input current offsets are exacerbated by a single large resistor in lieu of a lower-impedance T network. Have to look at the op amp i(offset) and
e(offset) specs to find out. JFETS tend to have crummy offset voltages.

BTW I'm not the teacher ...

Last edited:
Thank you yungman I will see today what my teacher has to say about it :)

Hi
We need an I/V Converter which may handle the input currents of the order of 10 nanoamps to 50 microamperes (or at least 0.1microamperes to 25 microamperes) & will give a measurable/ sufficient voltage signal.
The scheme is like this, the Channel electron multiplier's anode will be directly fed to the I/V converter. The signal at I/V converter will come at max. 13kHz frequency.
Power supply or power consumption is not an issue.
Please reply as soon as possible, if anyone knows how to make an I/V Converter for this current range.
Regards,
Snehlata

1. What is a current to voltage converter?

A current to voltage converter is an electronic circuit that converts an electrical current signal into a corresponding voltage signal. This conversion is necessary when the output of a current source needs to be measured or used in a circuit that requires a voltage input.

2. How does a current to voltage converter work?

A current to voltage converter typically uses an operational amplifier (op-amp) to convert the current signal into a voltage signal. The op-amp amplifies the input current and outputs a proportional voltage. The gain of the amplifier can be adjusted to achieve the desired output voltage range.

3. What are the applications of a current to voltage converter?

Current to voltage converters are commonly used in electronic circuits to measure current, as well as to provide a voltage input to other devices or circuits that require it. They are also used in instrumentation and control systems for monitoring and controlling current levels.

4. How accurate are current to voltage converters?

The accuracy of a current to voltage converter depends on the precision of the components used and the design of the circuit. Generally, the accuracy can be improved by using high-quality components and careful design considerations, such as minimizing noise and offset voltage.

5. Are there different types of current to voltage converters?

Yes, there are different types of current to voltage converters, including single-ended and differential converters. Single-ended converters have one input and one output, while differential converters have two inputs and one output. Additionally, there are different circuit configurations and designs that can be used to achieve the desired conversion.