Current Transformer Proton Accelerator

In summary, the conversation discusses a design for a fusion reactor and the implementation of various components, including a current transformer, into a C++ simulation program. The speaker is unsure of how to incorporate the transformer and derive the equations for the acceleration of ionized particles. Discussion also touches on the use of modulation and the misunderstanding of a current transformer as a direct current source.
BrandonBerchtold
Suppose you place a current transformer into a vacuum and flow ionized hydrogen through the center of it. The ionized hydrogen would act as the secondary winding of the current transformer. How specifically would the acceleration that the hydrogen ions experience be calculated?

Attachments

• functions-current-transformer-800x800.jpg
    functions-current-transformer-800x800.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 306
Physics news on Phys.org
It is virtually impossible to communicate with you, because you won't give us the context and split the conversation across multiple threads.

Vanadium 50 said:
It is virtually impossible to communicate with you, because you won't give us the context and split the conversation across multiple threads.

I specifically split my questions into different threads because that seemed more useful to other readers than to post numerous different questions under one unrelated heading. I'd be happy to post further questions in this thread if that is preferred?

I also specifically omitted any unnecessary context as I wanted to be as concise as possi le with what I was asking. I can try to add more context to future questions.

Also out of curiosity, what additional context are you looking for in this question? I am designing a c++ program to simulate an accelerator based deuterium-deuterium fusion reactor design (I can elaborate on the design if you'd like) I came across in some readings. The questions I am asking are mainly to get an idea of how to implement these various components (magnetic lens, parallel plate accelerator, current transformer, etc.) into my program. I want to incorporate a current transformer to accelerate ionized deuterium into the device but I am unsure how to derive the equations that govern the acceleration. How could I determine the acceleration of the particles and the total energy they acquire from the transformer. I would likely be using a numerical integration technique as opposed to a closed form equation to determine the acceleration force in my simulation. Would the acceleration be governed by Biot Savart Law?

(Also if you want me to contain my questions to a single post and add more context, please just ask instead of posting passive aggressive comments. I'm not posting on here to be annoying, I'm here because I want to learn.)

Thread closed for Moderation...

Thread re-opened for now. I haven't been following the other threads, so we'll consider merging them at some point if appropriate.

@BrandonBerchtold -- a transformer is an AC device, not a DC accelerator. What modulation were you planning on using to affect the beam of charged particles?

BrandonBerchtold said:
I specifically split my questions into different threads because that seemed more useful to other readers than to post numerous different questions under one unrelated heading. I'd be happy to post further questions in this thread if that is preferred?

I also specifically omitted any unnecessary context as I wanted to be as concise as possi le with what I was asking. I can try to add more context to future questions.

Also out of curiosity, what additional context are you looking for in this question? I am designing a c++ program to simulate an accelerator based deuterium-deuterium fusion reactor design (I can elaborate on the design if you'd like) I came across in some readings. The questions I am asking are mainly to get an idea of how to implement these various components (magnetic lens, parallel plate accelerator, current transformer, etc.) into my program. I want to incorporate a current transformer to accelerate ionized deuterium into the device but I am unsure how to derive the equations that govern the acceleration. How could I determine the acceleration of the particles and the total energy they acquire from the transformer. I would likely be using a numerical integration technique as opposed to a closed form equation to determine the acceleration force in my simulation. Would the acceleration be governed by Biot Savart Law?

(Also if you want me to contain my questions to a single post and add more context, please just ask instead of posting passive aggressive comments. I'm not posting on here to be annoying, I'm here because I want to learn.)

I have a feeling that you are missing A LOT of the physics involved here.

First of all, what you showed in your figure is not a "transformer". You will not induced any current in the coil simply by having a steady flow of charge. This is basic intro General Physics E&M, i.e. Lenz's Law. It was why you were told that it doesn't work with a direct-current source, which is essentially what you have.

What you may have read about "current transformer" may be a misunderstanding (I have used many current transformers in my former line of work in accelerator science). An Integrated Current Transformer (ICT) is a common device used in accelerators to measure the amount of charge per bunch inside the vacuum beam pipe. This might be what you may have come across. HOWEVER, the "transformer" here is inside the device itself. It does not include the beam, the way you have it written. AND, it measures PULSED or bunched charges, not continuous stream.

Finally, ICT devices impose little to no effect on the charge bunches that passed through it. It shouldn't, because it is a diagnostic device and it should disrupt the charge beam as little as possible. Thus, your intention of using such a "transformer" to accelerate the beam itself is puzzling. In fact, if anything, such a device will suck energy out of a beam (example: wakefields), since the beam transferred some of its energy to generate current in the coils.

Not only that, what is being generated by the coils are axial magnetic fields. No increase in kinetic energy of charge particles can be achieved with magnetic fields (Lorentz force).

So there is a lot of issues with basic physics here that makes your scheme not only difficult to understand, but puzzling.

Zz.

Likes Vanadium 50 and berkeman

1. What is a Current Transformer Proton Accelerator?

A Current Transformer Proton Accelerator is a device used in particle accelerators to increase the energy of charged particles, specifically protons. It works by using a series of electric and magnetic fields to accelerate the particles to high speeds.

2. How does a Current Transformer Proton Accelerator work?

The Current Transformer Proton Accelerator works by first producing a beam of protons using an ion source. The protons are then accelerated using radio frequency cavities, which are powered by a high-voltage transformer. The protons are then focused and directed by a series of magnets, increasing their speed and energy.

3. What are the applications of a Current Transformer Proton Accelerator?

Current Transformer Proton Accelerators have a wide range of applications in scientific research, including particle physics, nuclear physics, and materials science. They are also used in medical facilities for cancer treatment and in industrial settings for materials testing and analysis.

4. How is a Current Transformer Proton Accelerator different from other types of particle accelerators?

Current Transformer Proton Accelerators are different from other types of particle accelerators, such as linear accelerators or synchrotrons, in that they use a combination of electric and magnetic fields to accelerate particles. This allows for greater control and precision in the acceleration process.

5. What are the benefits of using a Current Transformer Proton Accelerator?

There are several benefits to using a Current Transformer Proton Accelerator, including its ability to accelerate particles to very high energies, its precision in controlling the particle beam, and its versatility in applications ranging from scientific research to medical treatments. Additionally, the use of a Current Transformer Proton Accelerator can lead to advancements in our understanding of the fundamental building blocks of matter and the development of new technologies.