Curvature of Space-Time: Why is Covariant Derivative Nonzero?

In summary: On the curved surface of the earth, moving one kilometer east and then one kilometer south does not take you to the same place as moving one kilometer south and one kilometer eastUnless you start 1/2km north of the equator. Maybe that's what the OP draws on his tennis ball.If you are standing at the equator and walk one kilometer east, your longitude changes by a certain amount. If you start at a point one kilometer south of the equator, that same one kilometer east will change your longitude by a larger amount, so the south-then-east walk will leave you farther to the east than the east-then-south walk.Thanks a lot!Unless you start
TimeRip496
I recently watched Susskind video on general relativity. I am unsure why the commutator of the covariant derivative of the vectors is nonzero when there is curvature. E.g. DrDsVm-DsDrVm
In flat space, that difference is zero. But why is it non zero in curved space? Someone please enlightened me!

Sorry for being so vague as I don't really know how to express this in words and how to use this forum.

Physics news on Phys.org
On the curved surface of the earth, moving one kilometer east and then one kilometer south does not take you to the same place as moving one kilometer south and one kilometer east - that is, movements in different directions do not commute.

Nugatory said:
On the curved surface of the earth, moving one kilometer east and then one kilometer south does not take you to the same place as moving one kilometer south and one kilometer east - that is, movements in different directions do not commute.
How? I find that difficult to visualise and I even try drawing it on my tennis ball but they do end up at the same place.

TimeRip496 said:
How? I find that difficult to visualise and I even try drawing it on my tennis ball but they do end up at the same place.

Suppose you are standing on the North Pole, facing south along the line of 0 degrees longitude. Your right hand is straight out from your side, pointing south along the line of 90 degrees west longitude. Now walk south along 0 degrees longitude to the equator, keeping your arm pointing in the same direction. At this point, you are at the equator, and your right hand is pointing west. Now walk west along the equator, keeping your right hand pointing in the same direction, until you reach the line of 90 degrees west longitude. Now walk north along this line of longitude until you get back to the North Pole. At this point, your right hand will be pointing south along the line of 180 degrees west longitude.

TimeRip496 said:

If you are standing at the equator and walk one kilometer east, your longitude changes by a certain amount. If you start at a point one kilometer south of the equator, that same one kilometer east will change your longitude by a larger amount, so the south-then-east walk will leave you farther to the east than the east-then-south walk.

If you still don't see it, try it with a larger distance - the effect will be very clear at, say, one-eighth the circumference.

Likes TimeRip496
Nugatory said:
On the curved surface of the earth, moving one kilometer east and then one kilometer south does not take you to the same place as moving one kilometer south and one kilometer east
Unless you start 1/2km north of the equator. Maybe that's what the OP draws on his tennis ball.

Nugatory said:
If you are standing at the equator and walk one kilometer east, your longitude changes by a certain amount. If you start at a point one kilometer south of the equator, that same one kilometer east will change your longitude by a larger amount, so the south-then-east walk will leave you farther to the east than the east-then-south walk.

If you still don't see it, try it with a larger distance - the effect will be very clear at, say, one-eighth the circumference.
Thanks a lot!

A.T. said:
Unless you start 1/2km north of the equator.

Good point. :)

1. What is the concept of curvature of space-time?

Curvature of space-time is a fundamental concept in the theory of general relativity. It describes the bending of space and time caused by the presence of massive objects.

2. Why is the covariant derivative nonzero in the context of curvature of space-time?

The nonzero value of the covariant derivative is a consequence of the curvature of space-time. In general relativity, space and time are not independent of each other, and the curvature of space-time causes the covariant derivative to take on a nonzero value.

3. How does the nonzero covariant derivative affect the behavior of particles in curved space-time?

The nonzero covariant derivative affects the behavior of particles by causing them to follow geodesic paths, which are the shortest paths in curved space-time. This is similar to how objects follow the shortest path on a curved surface, like a ball rolling on a hill.

4. Can the curvature of space-time be measured?

Yes, the curvature of space-time can be measured through various experiments, such as the bending of light around massive objects or the gravitational redshift of light. These measurements have confirmed the predictions of general relativity and the existence of curvature in space-time.

5. How does the concept of curvature of space-time relate to the theory of general relativity?

The theory of general relativity is based on the concept of curvature of space-time. It is a mathematical framework that describes the gravitational interactions between objects in the universe, taking into account the curvature of space-time caused by massive objects. Without the concept of curvature, general relativity would not be able to explain many observed phenomena, such as the orbit of Mercury and the bending of starlight around the sun.