Answer Two Balls Thrown: Which Touches Ground First?

• Thread starter usmarine
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ball Curve
In summary, the question asks which of two balls, one dropped and one thrown on a curve, will touch the ground first. The options are the first ball, the second ball, or both at the same time. Due to the vague phrasing of "slightly on a curve," the correct answer is open to interpretation.
usmarine
This is an actual question on a test that I took yesterday and I want to know the answer.

"Two balls are thrown at the same time. The first ball is dropped. The second ball is thrown slightly on a curve. Which will touch the ground first?"

A. The first ball.
B. The second ball.
C. They will touch the ground at the same time.

Note: That's all the information that I was given.

I chose C. ...just because I really couldn't decide based on the information given in the question.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
"Slightly on a curve" leaves room for interpretation. If it means that the second ball has a small horizontal component of initial velocity but no vertical component, then you are correct. In my opinion this is a poorly phrased question, slightly.

Can you post the question verbatum--as it was written?

That is the exact phrasing of the question. All of the questions were phrased like this.

It's a nonsensical question. Whoever composed the question missed some education in both the subject and English language.

Last edited:

1. What is "Answer Two Balls Thrown: Which Touches Ground First?"

"Answer Two Balls Thrown: Which Touches Ground First?" is a physics problem that involves two balls being thrown at different heights and trying to determine which ball will hit the ground first.

2. How is this problem relevant in real life?

This problem is relevant in real life because it demonstrates the concept of gravity and how it affects objects in motion. This understanding is crucial in fields such as engineering, sports, and even everyday activities like driving.

3. What factors affect which ball will hit the ground first?

The factors that affect which ball will hit the ground first include the initial height of each ball, their initial velocities, and the force of gravity acting on them.

4. Is there a formula to solve this problem?

Yes, there is a formula to solve this problem. It is called the "time of flight" formula and it takes into account the initial height and velocity of each ball to determine which one will reach the ground first.

5. Can this problem be solved with different types of balls?

Yes, this problem can be solved with different types of balls as long as their initial heights and velocities are known. However, the force of gravity may vary depending on the location, which can affect the outcome of the problem.