1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Curve ball question

1. Sep 12, 2009 #1
    This is an actual question on a test that I took yesterday and I want to know the answer.

"Two balls are thrown at the same time. The first ball is dropped. The second ball is thrown slightly on a curve. Which will touch the ground first?"

A. The first ball.
    B. The second ball.
    C. They will touch the ground at the same time.

Note: That's all the information that I was given.

I chose C. ...just because I really couldn't decide based on the information given in the question.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2009 #2

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

"Slightly on a curve" leaves room for interpretation. If it means that the second ball has a small horizontal component of initial velocity but no vertical component, then you are correct. In my opinion this is a poorly phrased question, slightly.

4. Sep 12, 2009 #3
    Can you post the question verbatum--as it was written?

5. Sep 12, 2009 #4
    That is the exact phrasing of the question. All of the questions were phrased like this.

6. Sep 12, 2009 #5
    It's a nonsensical question. Whoever composed the question missed some education in both the subject and English language.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook