1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Curve of intersection of

1. Jul 15, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find parametric equations for the tangent line to the curve of intersection of the cone z=√(x2 + 4y2) and the plane 3z = x + 2y + 8 at the point (3,2,5)

2. The attempt at a solution

I was trying to make the two Zs equal to each other, and solve for x or y, but I couldn't get any of them separate. I tried squaring both of them so they would both have things like X2. It didn't work out.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 15, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That's enough reason to try a different approach. Remember that the curve of intersection of two surfaces lies in both surfaces. So if you calculate the normal to each surface at a point on the surface, each normal will be perpendicular to the curve at that point. So the cross product of the normals will be tangent to the curve. And gradients are perpendicular to surfaces...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook