1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Curve Sketching for f(x)=6x^2/(x^2-2x-15)

1. Mar 2, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Please state the following components of this rational function?
    f(x)=6x^2/(x^2-2x-15)

-intervals of increase/decrease
    -local maximum and minimum values
    -intervals of concave up/concave down
    -points of inflection

2. Relevant equations
    N/A
    3. The attempt at a solution
    There is a horizontal asymptote at y=6.
    There are vertical asymptotes at x=-3 and x=5
    The first derivative is -12x(x+15)/(x^2-2x-15)^2
    The second derivative is 12(2x^3+45x^2+225)/(x^2-2x-15)^3
    According to the first derivative, the critical numbers would be -15, and 0.
    After the first derivative test, I found out that a min. point occurs when x=-15 and a max. point occurs when x=0. However, I got (-15,5.625) and (0,0). How can the min. point have a larger y-value than the max. point?
    Also, when I graphed this function on GraphCalc, it seems that there does not seem to be a minimum point at x=-15. Why is that?
    When I graphed the function, there seems to be 3 branches; in the left, middle, and right. The left branch seems to go through the horizontal asymptote (y=6) but then it slowly approaches it from below y=6.
    Please graph f(x)=6x^2/(x^2-2x-15) at http://math.ucalgary.ca/undergraduate/webwork/graphing-calculator [Broken] to see what I am describing. I cannot justify why there would be a minimum at x=-15.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

What did you get for the derivative? The link you posted doesn't seem to have anything to do with this problem.

A local minimum point can have a larger y value than a local maximum point. Such points have smaller y values than all other points in some interval.

4. Mar 2, 2010 #3

Please take a look the edited information that I typed above in my first post.
    I would appreciate it if you can help me out.

5. Mar 2, 2010 #4

Mark44

Everything is fine to here. I didn't check the 2nd derivative, though.
    These are the correct critical numbers. As noted in my other post, a local minimum point can have a larger y value than another local maximum point.
    Change your scale and it will show up better. Going to the left from the y axis, the graph drops down to its local min point, and then gradually moves up the the hor. asymptote.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  6. Mar 2, 2010 #5
    Will I need to use the values of -15, -3, 0, and 5 for the chart to find intervals of increase and decrease?

Also, how do I find the intervals of concave up and concave down and the points of inflection?
    The second derivative is 12(2x^3+45x^2+225)/(x^2-2x-15)^3. For what values of x do I test for in the 2nd derivative chart? Are -3 and 5 two numbers that I must include in this chart, since either one of them makes the second derivative undefined? Please help.

7. Mar 2, 2010 #6

Mark44

Yes.
    Concave up - where y'' > 0. Concave down - where y'' < 0.
    Your intervals of concave up/concave down can't include x = -3 or x = 5, since the function is not defined there.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook