Exploring the Curvature of Space-Time in Relation to Black Holes

In summary, JesseM and I discussed the effects of a black hole on light, particularly in terms of general relativity and the concept of geodesic paths. We also touched on the idea of curved space and how it can be difficult to conceptualize in higher dimensions. Additionally, we explored the belief that gravity is an illusion created by curved space, as well as the possibility of a new theory of "quantum gravity" at the planck scale. Lastly, we addressed the question of how objects falling into a black hole follow geodesic paths and how this relates to the concept of proper time.
JesseM said:
Please don't roll your eyes at me, it's rude.

No it's not … it's friendly! :smile: You could have replied: "Ah … I've been away on vacation since Thursday (got back Monday night) :rolleyes: "
… a post of mine where I quoted the post of yours where you had defined a t coordinate (a post you had written only a few hours earlier), and discussed your choice of coordinates in detail.

No … I only defined a latitude and longitude and a radius coordinate (the latter by means of the proper time of some free-falling massive particle):
tiny-tim said:
They fall radially inwards, so each can be given a latitude and longitude. The radius coordinate of any event inside the event horizon is defined as the (proper) time (on its own clock) of the test particle going through that event.
JesseM said:
There is nothing sacred or holy about Schwarzschild coordinates …

:eek: Blasphemer! :eek:

For are not Schwarzschild coordinates the only true coordinates in which we, created outside an event horizon, live and move and have our being?
And in a local coordinate system constructed out of freefalling rulers and clocks, the laws of physics must look identical to those of SR …

I'm going to start a new thread for this … at 106 posts, this thread is far too long … despite your original scepticism … :smile:
JesseM said:
Is there any reason you started a new thread for this?

Now go to: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=1693456#post1693456:smile: