1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Curvilinear Motion: Polar Coordinates (Engineering Dynamics)

1. Jan 31, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

WtHMXSA.png

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have stared at this for hours and don't know where to start. I think I need to get r in terms of t but I don't really know how with the information given. I just need a good hint to get started.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2016 #2
    In polar coordinates, what are the equations for the r and θ components of acceleration?

4. Jan 31, 2016 #3
    a = (Rdouble dot - Rθdot2)eR + (Rθdouble dot + 2Rdotθdot)eθ

I know a = 15 m/s2. I also know that the dot means the derivative is taken in respect to time. That's where I'm drawing a blank and why I thought the given R equation had to be manipulated in some way to be in terms of t. Or possibly solve for θ in terms of t and then substitute that equation into θ in the original given R equation.

In all the examples we did in class θ was given in terms of t, so it was pretty simple to substitute that equation into the given r equation and then take the derivatives.

5. Jan 31, 2016 #4
    From Eqn. 3.1, in terms of dθ/dt and θ, what is dr/dt?
    What is ##\frac{d^2r}{dt^2}## in terms of θ, dθ/dt, and d2θ/dt2.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted