Custodial Symmetry in the Standard Model

In summary: In reality, there are small deviations due to hypercharge and yukawa terms, but they are considered small enough to be considered "approximate" in the context of this symmetry. In summary, custodial symmetry is a global symmetry that is respected by the SU(2) gauge interactions and the higgs self potential, but not by the U(1) hypercharge interactions and yukawa terms. It extends the SU(2)L in the standard model to SU(2)LxSU(2)R and is referred to as the "custodial" symmetry after electroweak symmetry breaking. The three SU(2)L gauge bosons form a triplet under this symmetry, with equal masses in the approximation that the symmetry is valid
Luca_Mantani
Hi,
I am reading about this symmetry but I'm struggling to have a deep understanding of it. Would somebody please explain this symmetry to me from a conceptual point of view?

Thanks in advance,
Luca

Physics news on Phys.org
Luca_Mantani said:
Hi,
I am reading about this symmetry but I'm struggling to have a deep understanding of it. Would somebody please explain this symmetry to me from a conceptual point of view?

Thanks in advance,
Luca

The question seems to me to general. Due you have a more specific question?
A few basics:

Custodial symmetry is a symmetry that is respected by the SU(2) gauge interactions and the higgs self potential. It is not respected by the U(1) hypercharge interactions and yukawa terms for the fermions.
It extends the SU(2)L in the standard model to SU(2)LxSU(2)R (global symmetry only). After electroweak symmetry breaking(EWSB) ,
SU(2)LxSU(2)R[itex]\rightarrow[/itex]SU(2)L+R. This residual symmetry after EWSB is usually referred to as the "custodial" symmetry.

The three SU(2)L Gauge bosons (W[itex]\pm[/itex],W3) form a triplet under this symmetry, and thus their masses are equal in the approximation that the symmetry is valid. The deviation from that is due to hypercharge and yukawa terms.

Likes ohwilleke and vanhees71
ofirg said:
The question seems to me to general. Due you have a more specific question?
A few basics:

Custodial symmetry is a symmetry that is respected by the SU(2) gauge interactions and the higgs self potential. It is not respected by the U(1) hypercharge interactions and yukawa terms for the fermions.
It extends the SU(2)L in the standard model to SU(2)LxSU(2)R (global symmetry only). After electroweak symmetry breaking(EWSB) ,
SU(2)LxSU(2)R[itex]\rightarrow[/itex]SU(2)L+R. This residual symmetry after EWSB is usually referred to as the "custodial" symmetry.

The three SU(2)L Gauge bosons (W[itex]\pm[/itex],W3) form a triplet under this symmetry, and thus their masses are equal in the approximation that the symmetry is valid. The deviation from that is due to hypercharge and yukawa terms.
In which sense this is a "approximate" symmetry? How can a symmetry be approximate?

Luca_Mantani said:
In which sense this is a "approximate" symmetry? How can a symmetry be approximate?

In the sense that it is not respected by some terms in the Lagrangian. The symmetry is only present when those terms are neglected.

Likes ohwilleke and Luca_Mantani

What is custodial symmetry in the Standard Model?

Custodial symmetry is a mathematical concept in the Standard Model of particle physics that relates the properties of different types of particles. Specifically, it ensures that the left- and right-handed versions of a particle have the same mass and coupling strength.

Why is custodial symmetry important in the Standard Model?

Custodial symmetry helps to explain why certain particles, such as the W and Z bosons, have similar properties despite being different types of particles. It also helps to maintain the overall consistency and accuracy of the Standard Model.

How is custodial symmetry related to the Higgs mechanism?

The Higgs mechanism, which gives particles their mass, is closely linked to custodial symmetry. In order for the Higgs mechanism to work, custodial symmetry must be present in the equations describing particle interactions.

Can custodial symmetry be broken?

While custodial symmetry is an important concept in the Standard Model, it is not a fundamental principle and can be broken in certain situations. For example, in theories beyond the Standard Model, custodial symmetry may be violated, leading to different predictions for particle interactions.

How is custodial symmetry tested in experiments?

Custodial symmetry can be tested by measuring the properties of particles, such as their masses and couplings, and comparing them to the predictions of the Standard Model. If custodial symmetry is broken, these measurements may deviate from the expected values, providing evidence for new physics beyond the Standard Model.