Cutting metal pipe to make different pitches

In summary, the group is trying to create different pitches by cutting metal pipes at different frequencies. They are seeking help in determining the length of the pipes in order to play specific notes, and they provide information about the outer diameter of the pipe. They are referred to a mathematical formula used by pipe organ designers and a website with information on designing wind chimes. The conversation also touches on the effects of the inner diameter, wall thickness, and material properties of the pipes on the pitch. A chart is also mentioned that shows the frequency of musical notes.
ltt
Hi, we are trying to make different pitches by cutting metal pipes at different frequincies to produce different pitches. We don't know how to determine the length at which we should cut the pipes. We want to play notes E, D, C, G to play mary had a little lamb. the outer diameter of the pipe is 1 in. Please help us with our project. Thank you :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Pipe organs designers have same need ... here's the math ...

http://www.rwgiangiulio.com/math/pipelength.htm

The math should work for xylophone-like striking (ie windchimes) for shorter lengths

Inside diameter of pipe must have some effect ... for air supplied resonance, ID should affect wave amplitude. If struck then ID, wall thickness, and material properties all will be factors.

Musical notes to frequency chart ...

http://www.phy.mtu.edu/~suits/notefreqs.html

Xen Uno said:
The math should work for xylophone-like striking (ie windchimes) for shorter lengths

No, that won't work. For an organ pipe, the air inside the pipe is vibrating. For normal atmospheric conditions, the most important parameter is the length of the pipe, though the diameter has a small effect. The material of the pipe doesn't affect the pitch.

For a wind chimes, the actual metal of the pipe is vibrating like a cantilever beam. The frequency depends on the material and the diameter and wall thickness of the pipe, as well as the length.

There is a lot of information on designing wind chimes here: http://home.fuse.net/engineering/Chimes.htm

1. How do I determine the correct pitch for my metal pipe?

To determine the correct pitch for a metal pipe, you will need to know the diameter of the pipe and the desired pitch. The pitch is typically measured in threads per inch (TPI) or millimeters per thread (MMPT). You can use a pitch gauge or a thread pitch calculator to accurately determine the pitch of your pipe.

2. What tools do I need to cut a metal pipe to make different pitches?

To cut a metal pipe to make different pitches, you will need a pipe cutter, a pipe vise, a deburring tool, and a threader. These tools can be found at most hardware stores or online. It is important to use the correct size and type of cutter and threader for your specific pipe material and pitch.

3. Can I use a regular saw to cut a metal pipe?

No, a regular saw is not suitable for cutting metal pipes. Metal pipes are typically made of harder materials such as steel or copper, and using a regular saw can damage the pipe and potentially cause injury. It is best to use a specialized pipe cutter for clean and precise cuts.

4. What safety precautions should I take when cutting metal pipes?

When cutting metal pipes, it is important to wear protective gear such as gloves and safety goggles. Metal shavings and sharp edges can cause injury, so it is also recommended to use a vise to secure the pipe while cutting. Always follow the manufacturer's instructions and make sure the cutting area is clear of any potential hazards.

5. Can I adjust the pitch of a metal pipe after it has been cut?

Yes, it is possible to adjust the pitch of a metal pipe after it has been cut. This can be done by using a thread file or thread chaser tool to modify the existing threads. However, it is important to note that this may affect the strength and integrity of the pipe, so it is best to consult a professional or use caution when attempting to adjust the pitch after cutting.